Who here cans??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:frow I can, and the garden is a doozy this year, so my cellar will be stocked! I have picked a bushel of yellow str. neck squash in the last two days!
A nice lady gave me boxes and boxes of canning jars, a juicer, a pressure cooker, a wheat grinder and 30# tins of red turkey wheat and will give me her Vitamix as soon as she finds it!!! I think her mom gave her the canning stuff and her husband bought her the rest, in hopes of her using them, but she doesn't want to....wants to buy her stuff from the store.....so, I get the blessing of inheriting her stuff! :weee

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I can too, I put up about 60 jars this week of blueberry jams, jellies, salsa, bruschetta and roasted red pepper sauce.
Beekissed as an awesome recipe for hot pepper butter that is a nice spread and if you go onto the easy garden forum there are a couple of great recipes for
Spiced blueberry preserves and
Spiced honey blueberry jam. I think they are under the canning section too. They are awesome for anyone looking to use up the blueberries. I went through 10 pounds of blueberries with these recipes.
If you can't get to them I will try to post them tomorrow. Had some company today with lots of little ones running around and I am sooooo ready for bed.
I also made some jam called bumbleberry jam from the ball's canning book. I served some over ice cream today and everyone liked it so much they took home a few jars of it. Its got strawberries, raspberries, blackberries in it. I actually threw in a handful of blueberries too.
I can post that one too if anyone is interested.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I can too, I put up about 60 jars this week of blueberry jams, jellies, salsa, bruschetta and roasted red pepper sauce.
Beekissed as an awesome recipe for hot pepper butter that is a nice spread and if you go onto the easy garden forum there are a couple of great recipes for
Spiced blueberry preserves and
Spiced honey blueberry jam. I think they are under the canning section too. They are awesome for anyone looking to use up the blueberries. I went through 10 pounds of blueberries with these recipes.
If you can't get to them I will try to post them tomorrow. Had some company today with lots of little ones running around and I am sooooo ready for bed.
I also made some jam called bumbleberry jam from the ball's canning book. I served some over ice cream today and everyone liked it so much they took home a few jars of it. Its got strawberries, raspberries, blackberries in it. I actually threw in a handful of blueberries too.
I can post that one too if anyone is interested.
Blueberries, I just throw in the freezer. Then I scoop some out for pancakes, sauce for cheesecake, smoothies, etc. So versatile. Like I said though, I didn't have great luck making them into jam.

Frozen Feathers

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That's great that you got all that canning stuff from your friend! Everything for canning that I have I inherited, too.

Our garden is so-so this year. Well it is the first year we've tried a big garden, so I guess we've done pretty good. We have tomatoes, pepper (both hot and bell), pumpkins, green beans, artichoke ( :fl ) , peas, and hopefully the pickling cukes will grow.

I plan on freezing most things, except the tomatoes and of course pumpkins and cukes. :)

Cassandra- milking is easy to learn. I learned as a kid and had to re-learn this year when we bought two Nubian goat does.

Frozen Feathers

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Natalie...yes we love any recipes you are willing to share!! Bruschetta ??? YUM!!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
SPICED BLUEBERRY PRESERVE

This is a mildly spiced jam, great for breakfast, and marvelous, too, served with wild or domestic fowl or with game. Do not make it with wild huckleberries if it has been a dry summer as the little berries will become like hard pellets that no amount of cooking or aging will soften. Wild berries, if juicy, make a particularly delicious preserve. But you can never go wrong as to texture with cultivated ones.
You will need:
1 quart washed, stemmed and picked-over blueberries
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine ingredients and simmer until the skins are tender and the preserve has reached the desired thickness. Test for thickness by putting a small bit of the boiling jam onto a refrigerated plate and popping it right back into the refrigerator to cool fast. If it's still running all over the plate, simmer the jam awhile longer, then test again. When its thick enough, take it off the stove at once. Pour it into jars and seal them with 2 thin layers of paraffin and a lid. This should give you 4-5 eight-ounce glasses.

I copied it exactly from the recipe that was given.
I used a water bath canner to can the jars though not wax.

SPICED BLUEBERRY HONEY JAM

2 1/2 c fresh or frozen coarsely chopped blueberries
2 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c liquid honey
1 Tb lemon J
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 pouch liquid fruit pectin

place blueberries, sugar, honey, lem j and nutmeg in a large stainless or enamel saucepan. Bring to full boil over hi and boil hard for 2 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes in water bath.

makes 4 cups

Both of these are delicious. I have been using them over ice cream, pancakes, waffles etc.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bumbleberry Jam

1 cup crushed blueberries
1 cup crushed raspberries
1 cup crushed hulled strawberries
6 cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid pectic (3 oz size)
I have mixed in blackberries if I have them too.

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine the fruit and sugar. Over high heat, stir constantly, bring to a full boil that cannot be stirred down.
Stir in pectin.
Boil hard,stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and skim off foam.

ladle hot jam into the prepared canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
Wipe rim of jar, center the lid and screw on the band until finger tip tight.
Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
Remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes and remove jars.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also can. I learned from many people, Mom,MIL, and my husbands dear Grandmother. I do tomatoes, pickles, jelly, jams, and this year I also want to try apple butter. DH's Grandmother used to make it for my oldest son. I am planning on trying her recipe. I also would like to try pumpkin butter!! I will start looking for a recipe and let you know when I find one. Last year I canned spaghetti sauce, this year I have found a much easier recipe that you freeze instead of can. Think I am going to try that. My garden looks great this year. We should be booming and ready to start canning soon!!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bruschetta
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tbs. granulated sugar
2 tbs.dried basil
2 tbs dried oregano
2 tbsl balsamic vinegar
9 cups chopped cored plum tomatoes

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine:
garlic, wine, wine vinegar,water, sugar, basil, oregano, and balsamic vinegar.
Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 5 minutes. until garlic is heated thorugh. Remove from heat.
Pack tomatoes into hot jars to within a genreout 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot vinegar mixture into jars to cover tomatoes. Remove any air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary by adding more hot liquid. Still leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
Prepare jars and boil in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
This is served over toasted italian bread with a drizzle of olive oil. Some people like to put grated cheese on the bread first, then toast it and add the tomatoes.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yotetrapper said:
Yeah i usually freeze pumpkin too, but I saw some recipes somewhere for pumpkin butter, and thought it sounded good.

Here's another question. I found a baked bean recipe (made it up, actually) that my dh LOVES. Uses Pork and Beans. I was looking at the jumbo pork n bean cans for $4-something at my store, and was wondering... can I make a batch of baked beans up and then can them?? Also, since they are cooked, can they be canned in a water bath, or would they require pressure canning?
Becareful your beans could turn to mush from being over processed.
I have been canning for over 30 years. Absolutly love it. I put up everything I can get my hands on.
The only thing I have trouble with is dill pickles. Just can't seem to keep them crisp.