Who here has built their own Solar Panels?

S

sunsaver

Im good at soldering, but too lazy to make my own panels. I find its easier to buy the stuff off the shelf, and just plug and play. You now get panel for about $4 per watt, thats $400 for a 100watt panel or $4000 for a 1000 watt rig. You can get an inverter at a truck stop, trucking supply company or RV repair shop. You can use deep cycle marine or golf cart batteries, but i prefer maintenace free AGM batteries from DEKA. Im willing to help design an off-grid solar system for any of yall. just send me a pm with your questions. It might take a few days for me to respond, because i dont get online very often, so be patient.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
fun i have same one built 3 years ago that still work fine. If you grid tie true you need factory built with the UL tags or you wont be allowed to grid tie. Off grid use i build my own.
Funny is funny do - the law follows the code as must you, NEC2011, NFPA70, along with AHJ - says it all. Now if its an isolated off grid Ted Nugent cabin, then it's a free for all. (kinda of a pun).
Nice to agree AHS

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol yes it is a pain to make one, but to me it is fun, i like making my things and seeing it work, :) maybe i'm weird but i enjoy it. But i would never recommend anyone trying to attach anything homemade to a grid tied power system.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
maybe i'm weird
Hey weird dude face I knew what you meant, but what about the others who may stumble upon this thread and think it is ok to lick a toad?

S

sunsaver

Licking of toads may lead seeing toad people and harder forms of animal cruelty. So what does this have to do with solar power?

I'd make my own solar panels if i knew a good way to seal the cells to the tempered glass, so that moisture can not penetrate. it would need to be uv stable, and water tight. Im an old electronics guy, so soldering up the cells would be no problem. What is the cost advantage per watt? I can get panels online for as little as $4 per watt.

turpinivan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I think these future solar panels buildings technologies are amazing. I have no words to praise the building models in this thread. Actually I was surfing for solar panels North Carolina and got this fantastic thread.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And welcome turpinivan!

The last time I asked DS#3 about helping me make a couple solar panels, he wasn't too agreeable. He said that they are more time consuming than what I thought. Well, I'm okay with that...I was after cheaper alternatives.

S

sunsaver

:welcome Turpinivan, you should look under index for some of the older threads about solar power and alternative energy. I documented how i built a solar water heater, an earth battery, and other alternative energy expirements that you might find interesting. Hope you enjoy exploring the SS forum, and good luck with your solar powered endeavors. I love living off-grid solar!