Whole30 Diet

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's great! My husband is a sugar-holic too. I am trying not to be, now that I am allowed to eat normal people food... I know I would be better off eating what I was eating!

You'll find it even easier once you have the "right" foods coming out of the garden I'm sure!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- to both of you Bay & NH. Bay -- you guys are doing great. Glad you feel the difference. It gets easier.

I find, as I see the birthdates pass (not getting older, notice?) that you can/do change your eating & cravings. Fact -- your taste buds DO change. Some things you never liked, you then may & vice versa. Retraining yourself is good. I am a LONG time chocolate lover -- which generally includes sugar. Mostly I eat the dark, less sweet. Oddly I rarely use sugar in/on things, other than baked goods & I don't like extreme sweet. Coffee black, plain, etc. I can make myself eat the limited cookie, muffin, etc. slower & be happy.

At this point, if I bake a cake/pie, I plan ahead with where to gift most of it. Otherwise, that rascal sits on the counter calling my name!!!! While I have never, ever, been worried with weight, I sure don't want to now!! Yep, that metabolism slows. Primarily I look at wise diet choices because of any risk of dementia, general health. Lived thru mom -- do NOT want to go there. So my always healthy eating is being refined to limit most "outside" challenges -- Cuss those candy aisles! I do enjoy an occasional small treat, why not? ;)

Bay, I know you & DH entered into this as a general "improve our good health" lifestyle. We are all going there at some point. Sooner is better than later!

SOON you will be able to have a piece of cornbread with those greens!:D Now, one piece each and your chickens will eat the rest of the panful!!! That's a hard panful to toss :lol:

Great summer produce will make it soooo much better.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I get a crazy craving for some sweet baked thing I go ahead and cook it, eat a piece or so, cut it into individual serving pieces, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. I make sure to put them in the big freezer in the garage so they aren't easily accessible. In fact, I came across some cheesecake bars yesterday that I froze before Christmas.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I send mine to work with DD. Freezer too easy to hit! :cool: May keep one or two piece......rest goes. Sometimes DD & DS will get it instead.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I work on developing recipes using the ingredients I can have, to fill the voids of those things I can't have. I've been able to find or create recipe substitutes for gravy, cookies and cakes, biscuits, crackers, and pancakes
I managed to make an acceptable Dutch Baby yesterday morning, using coconut flour instead of regular- but I had to add one more egg and another splash of almond milk because coconut flour absorbs so much more liquid. But sprinkled with lemon juice and a sprinkle of powdered Swerve (erithritol) it was quite nice. It didn't puff up as much as a real Dutch Baby, but I have an idea for the next one-- I will beat the egg whites separately until they are stiff and I will change out the almond milk for a mixture of cream and seltzer water. I think between the bubbles in the water and the whites, maybe I will get something appropriately puffy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, we did it. We completed our Whole30 and have done a good job of staying off so much sugar. DH still craves sweets, me-it's the chocolate! But we are better about it. I lost 3 pounds, DH lost 9 pounds. We have eaten better and healthier. Tomorrow is Super Bowl, we invited a friend over and I'm going to cook chili and go for all the goodies, cheese, fritos and chopped onions. We are taking a small break, then back on the diet.

My weight is 145, DH is 225.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After a year on keto, I've discovered that if I try to cheat with a higher carb meal or treat.... I end up with serious "gastric distress"... When I finally reach my goal weight I will have to reintroduce carbs very slowly.

Latest posts