Who's making yogurt and how?

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just bought myself a yogurt maker and am pumped. I want to make yogurt cheese and of course yummy yogurt for breakfast. SO any of you pros? Share your secrets and what works for flavorings?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi--actually, there's already an extensive thread on yogurt somewhere on here--probably in the kitchen area. Good luck!

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use Miss Prissy's basic recipe from the BYC forum. I have tried a few different recipes and incubating techniques, but have found this one works well for us.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I guess what I really want to know is how do you guys flavor your yogurt? I am making plain right now along with a loaf of partial whole wheat bread. I want to make vanilla or other fun flavors too and was wondering how people do it? So how do you do it? Thanks in advance!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We USUALLY leave our homemade yogurt plain. That way the kids can mix in strawberry jam or honey or syrup or fruit or whatever they're in the mood for while I can use the stuff as a sour cream or buttermilk substitute. But one of the things they absolutely love is when I mix in instant pudding mix so I can flavor it as banana cream or coconut pie or cheesecake....

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
We USUALLY leave our homemade yogurt plain. That way the kids can mix in strawberry jam or honey or syrup or fruit or whatever they're in the mood for while I can use the stuff as a sour cream or buttermilk substitute. But one of the things they absolutely love is when I mix in instant pudding mix so I can flavor it as banana cream or coconut pie or cheesecake....
Do you mix the pudding mix into the yogurt after it is made? Sounds like a great idea. I think I will stick to plain and flavor it at whim.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think most machines say you should leave it plain and flavor afterwards.

Congrats on the yogurt. Try mixing in some cooked wheat berries. makes a great breakfast. :D

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
onebuggirl said:
farmerlor said:
Do you mix the pudding mix into the yogurt after it is made? Sounds like a great idea. I think I will stick to plain and flavor it at whim.
Yeah, you just use the yogurt after it's made and mix in your favorite pudding mix or mix them-kids like french vanilla and cheesecake or cheesecake and strawberry jam.....

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like yogurt in my morning oatmeal....mmmmmm

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use Miss P's reciepe and we flavor it with whatever the whim but, mostly jam or fresh fruit.