Who's making yogurt and how?

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:rolleyes: My yogurt won't be done until 10pm and then it goes in the frig..I can't wait until morning to have some with my flaxseed and granola...I am so hungry I want it now!!!!!!!!
As for kids loving the pudding hahaha I think I will be doing that For sure! Hey I am still a kid...at heart!

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow that was the best yogurt ever! I am never buying store baught again...goodbye high fructose corn syrup and aspartame!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Making it yourself is very rewarding...and tasty :D

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Making it yourself is very rewarding...and tasty :D
I agree, I am trying to be more sufficient..thus me being here..anyway I love to cook, can, garden, create..and whenever and wherever we can save money and avoid synthetic foods/ingredients we do. I am all for being a locavore and hope more people are moved to do the same.
Enough of me tooting my own horn, go look at my brownie recipe..they are awesome, really fudgy!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I haven't made my own yogurt, but I make yogurt cheese often. It is really easy.

Take your yogurt (as much as you want, I use 4c) add a pinch of salt, stir it up, and pour it into a cheese cloth lined strainer over a bowl. Leave it in the fridge for a couple days and pour off the liquid that accumulates in the bowl. Voila! You are now the proud owner of some fresh yogurt cheese!

I like to add crushed garlic, a bigger pinch of salt, and ground dried basil, parsley and dill as well as a sprinkle of pepper to the yogurt before I let it strain. It is delicious on fresh baked bread.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I make "Yocheese" all the time. I also feed that whey that drains off to my ducks.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I make "Yocheese" all the time. I also feed that whey that drains off to my ducks.
I use my whey in breads & pancakes. I love yocheese!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
onebuggirl said:
I guess what I really want to know is how do you guys flavor your yogurt? I am making plain right now along with a loaf of partial whole wheat bread. I want to make vanilla or other fun flavors too and was wondering how people do it? So how do you do it? Thanks in advance!
I make my yogurt in a yogurt maker. Always make it plaina nd flavour it afterwards.

flavouring ideas are: Homemade preserves is the best, or regular jams, honey and vanilla, brown sugar, brown sugar and a little coffee. We use them in fruit smoothies alot, but more so in the summer. We have a bullet--so we add frozen fruit, yogurt and honey. Make yogurt cheese--either garlic and herb flavoured, or sweeten and use as a topping for desserts. I use yogurt in my muffins, etc etc etc......

Always leave a little from the first batch to use as a culture for your next batch.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For the record, I have hated yogurt my entire life. But postings on this forum inspired me to buy a yogurt maker and try to make it for my kids. I made the first batch yesterday and I dished some out for the kids today. I added some peaches I had frozen last summer. Delish!! We all loved it! It is so unlike store bought yogurt. So try it - even if you don't like yogurt.

Inchworm