Who's making yogurt and how?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Where do you get a yogurt maker? I've never seen one and don't know where to look. Can you just use store bought milk? We want to get goats eventually and have our own milk to use but for now I am stuck with store bought milk.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Are you interested in making it without a maker? I heat my milk--could be storebought or fresh from the farm--to 180 in the microwave to kill any ambient bacteria. Then, I cool it down to 100-110 F. I stir in yogurt (about 1/4 cup per 1/2 gallon of milk) that is at room temperature. Then, I keep the whole mix at about 110 F for 5 hours or so. It seems to vary in time each time I make yogurt. I use my oven's low setting to do this, but you could rig up something in a crockpot, insulated cooler or other. Good luck!

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Where do you get a yogurt maker? I've never seen one and don't know where to look. Can you just use store bought milk? We want to get goats eventually and have our own milk to use but for now I am stuck with store bought milk.
I also use MissPRissy's recipe using a cooler as the incubator so I can double the recipe and even triple it.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought it on Amazon. I think I paid about $12, which to me, was worth the price.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I use skim milk powder to make my yogurt. I went to a chef's store to get my yougurt maker, but have seen some in the second hand stores.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I add powdered milk after it reaches 185 F and then cool it to 110F and then add the culture. Lastnight I made a triple batch so I could make cheese to make frosting for 2 cakes.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
onebuggirl said:
I add powdered milk after it reaches 185 F and then cool it to 110F and then add the culture. Last night I made a triple batch so I could make cheese to make frosting for 2 cakes.
one bug... Your making Yo-cheese and substituting it for what?, cream cheese in frosting? What a great idea. I love to make veggie dips for my kids that way. But frosting yum!!!

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
onebuggirl said:
I add powdered milk after it reaches 185 F and then cool it to 110F and then add the culture. Last night I made a triple batch so I could make cheese to make frosting for 2 cakes.
one bug... Your making Yo-cheese and substituting it for what?, cream cheese in frosting? What a great idea. I love to make veggie dips for my kids that way. But frosting yum!!!
Yeah I am replacing the 8 oz of cream cheese with 8oz of yo-cheese and the recipe is simple..cheese, powdered sugar, honey, milk! Oh there might be butter in it I can't remember I am at work...hardly working :p Yumm I am making a banana cake and a pineapple cake. I will lwt you know how they turn out we can't eat them until Saturday night though! Party!