Why?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Huh, kids here can get their learner's license at age 14, so my kids have been driving for ages now. They do need to have a licensed adult in the car, and can't drive after dark, but they can definitely drive at 15 :)

Back to the OP--sorry I wasn't around, the girls and I were out at a wedding shower.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll rattle a can of pennies for you. Or just let my little 10 week old cockerel on here. He doesn't shut up. Always talking and complaining. Usually it's a "pick me up and hold me" or "let me out" type of call. None of my other chickens have ever talked constantly like that.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
A little tough there ~gd?

Anyway, we get our permit at 16 here in Kentucky...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
wow tough town gd :hide
Yep we had 2 DOA accidents Prom night with 0 blood ahcohol so the cops were ordered to get tough. DUI (driving under the influence) is only slightly worse than DWI (Driving While Impaired) Impairment can be lots of things the driver's attention must be on the road. People here have been nailed for such things as eating, reading, applying makeup, and even making out. They are usually pled out by the DA. If you don't cop a plea they are usually tossed anyway because the judge doesn't want to risk a trial to find out just what is or is not covered by the law. Unless it is dope, they haul you in and then release you. If a minor your parent is called, often that is punishment enough. The Cops call it fishing [catch and release] and they have fishing contests when things are slow.

Yes farm kids can drive farm type vehicles with a slow warning sign on the back but not when school is in session. Learner permits start at 16 then junior permits that let you drive alone in daylight and finally a regular permit.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I wish our town was more like that, but not for the reasons that one became so strict. *shudder*

DD15 is eligible for her permit, but I'm not stupid. That child can't walk and chew gum at the same time. She is soooooo clumsy, and freaks out/freezes up completely over the smallest thing...can't imagine her in control of a ton of metal...no sir. Poor kid has NO chance of getting a permit anytime soon. I'm the law round here ;) I'm too afraid she'll become a statistic!! I am NOT one of those crazy, smothering, overprotective moms either. I am just very observant, an WISH more parents were. Some kids just aren't ready yet :hu I love the little bull in a china shop enough to keep her from behind the wheel for at least another year or so.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't blame you. I don't know that I would have been comfortable w/my kids having their permits at 15 either. 16 is the minimum age in Jersey, then they can get their "Cinderella" license at 17, then if they don't get a ton of tickets etc, a regular license at 18.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm 37 now. I had my permit at 15, and license at 16. I also got a job at the theater that summer and my parents sure didn't want to be coming to pick me up at the drive-in at 4am. I was sent out on errands as soon as I was driving alone. Was someone else to help take the burden off my parents getting my younger brothers to stuff, or dropping off bills. I was allowed to drive to school only if I took my middle brother since he was in middle school and the high school is on the same campus and they share buildings.

My hubby was stationed in VA Beach for years, and we saw how some of our friends kids turned out. I still don't think some of them should have been allowed anywhere near the public, (for the public's safety), much less driving.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My youngest dd (of 4) got her permit at 14 (she turned 15 Monday) she is the only one I let get her permit at 14. I figured if I have to ask if they want to take drivers ed or ask if the want their permit- they don't need it. She does very well driving. If we get her a car she can get a "school" or "work" permit, which would allow her to drive to school or work. But they have to go strait there and strait home the are only allowed to stop at a gas station along the way and if they are found out of the way, they losse the permit and and can't get a licence till they are 18. She can get her licence at 16. I figure she will get pulled over plenty- not becouse of her driving, but her size. She may be 15 but she is the size of a ten year old. Heck I still buy her clothes back in the little kids area.