wide scale preparations scenario

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Pumpkins and squash = good food. Plus, you have a yard
A tiny one, but I do what I can with it. It will be very jungle-like with edible plants if my plans work out.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm in an upstairs apt. I grow a few things in pots indoors. The top of the frig is my best "garden spot" here. Best lighting in the place.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
Honestly, in a Mad Max kind of world, would I WANT to survive? Probably not - but with my luck I would anyway :lol: so I better be as well prepared as I possibly can be to survive as well as I possibly can and that being said, let the chips fall where they may.
i'm totally gonna be the mad max guy who has the crazy viking helmet and the wolf pelt over my shoulders driving a suped up dune buggy with a gat mounted on it. whoooo hooooooo!

and i plant a lot of pumpkins too.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
onmyown44 said:
we have 6 blueberrie bushes, 2 apple trees, many rasberrie and blackberrie bushes, rhubarb, leeks. Plan on adding some pear trees, cherry trees and plum this year also some nut trees.
I have never had fruit trees and will have to look into getting some, they can't be much harder to take care of as a vegetable garden.
Ours produce but we lose so much of it SO fast to birds and bugs that without spraying we don't get all that much fruit..... But I won't spray.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
If you want say apple or pear trees, they are pretty easy to take care of. Just have to learn how to prune them (it is pretty easy, the proof is that even I can do it) water them when they are under 3 years old, rake the leaves and get yourself some orchard mason bees. Orchard mason bees are pretty hands off too. Just build them a home and they do everything else.

I inherited an established apple and pear orchard with some plum and cherry trees. The lady never sprayed her trees and now I don't spray them either.

The hardest thing about this orchard is eating all that fruit!! I ate apples etc. every day, dehydrated as much as I could, gave away even more to my friends and neighbors and my daughter's teachers, AND I STILL HAD TONS LEFT OVER!!! I had apples and pears out the wazoo!

If you let the leftover apples stay on the trees until the first freeze, you can make yourself killer-dynamite apple cider with them!

The cherries are just bird food. I wouldn't recommend cherries unless you could net your trees. Mine are just too big for that. I did get about a handfull, but that was it. I was bummed b/c cherries are my favorite and quite expensive to buy at the market.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm thinking of spraying this year with dormant oil~ or food grade oil and soapy water~ for the first time. I want to see if it will make a difference in the quality and health of my fruit.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We try to spray our peach trees with a dormant oil spray. It does seem to help with peach leaf curl in the years we manage to get it done at least twice. The problem is that we prefer to get it all done before they flower. It is either too windy or too rainy to do it properly. Or we are out of the dormant oil :rolleyes:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am undertaking a project to see just what I can grow indoors in a sunny window. I really want to try potatoes in a big pot! Right now I have planted spinach and a few herbs...maybe try lettuce (close to the coolness of the window glass) and tomatoes. I know I will have to self polinate the tomatoes...hopefully it will all work! Always wanted to try these things, just never had a sunny window to try them in!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
i'm totally gonna be the mad max guy who has the crazy viking helmet and the wolf pelt over my shoulders driving a suped up dune buggy with a gat mounted on it. whoooo hooooooo!
I'll be the one screaming next to you with a bow and flaming arrows while Abi hangs over the side slinging home brewed molotov cocktails! BRING IT ON! WOO HOO! :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I am undertaking a project to see just what I can grow indoors in a sunny window. I really want to try potatoes in a big pot! Right now I have planted spinach and a few herbs...maybe try lettuce (close to the coolness of the window glass) and tomatoes. I know I will have to self polinate the tomatoes...hopefully it will all work! Always wanted to try these things, just never had a sunny window to try them in!
I grew eggplant that way...then again, that was back in TX. You should try it...it makes a beautiful house plant too.

Latest posts