wide scale preparations scenario

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wow, after reading this thread I am amazed at how much thought and planning some of you have put into this kind of scenario! :th

I must admit that I am not even in the realm of being considered a prepper, by any means. Couldn't even wrap my mind around how I could ever amass the items one would need to survive in a scenario such as this.

I'm more of a "I want to be able to grow my own when it gets too expensive to buy" gal. Bartering is great also. Scavenging also fits my style.

Mostly, I just tend to where I will be going after I don't survive~as none of us are getting out of here alive~ and try to keep food, water, fuel and tools real handy. But even these things are hard to keep when no one else has them.

I guess I spend more thought on prepping my soul and leave the hard stuff to the Almighty! :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
With my religion, how you live here and now, determines wether or not you get to go to a higher level next time around. So I have to make sure I live right and do right, so I can climb that spiritual ladder ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I try to maintain the outlook that :
I was came into this world buck-nekkid and broke and I will leave the same way. We only get one ticket to ride on this Merry-Go-Round, so make the very best of it and enjoy it as much as you can!
I figure when TSHTF, then I will be getting a LOT more target practice. :clap

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
For those who don't have high powered weapons or don't want them, a BB gun can get you small squirrels and such, I have used a cheap hand pumped BB riffle to take chipmunks out at 100 feet with one shot. Just like a small cross bow it is virtually silent and may come in handy for not giving your hunting location away. plus 6,000 BB's fit in a container the size of a beer can.

I don't know if you can defend your home with one but at least you can take their eyes out - at least that's what my mother always said.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Honestly, in a Mad Max kind of world, would I WANT to survive? Probably not - but with my luck I would anyway :lol: so I better be as well prepared as I possibly can be to survive as well as I possibly can and that being said, let the chips fall where they may.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would want to survive for my kids. To help them to survive. They are everything to me. Second comes my neighbors kids.

Neighbors around here are all armed. Their guns loaded at the front door. If city folks come this way to create mayhem and theivery they will be in for a surprise.

My husband, who has been adverse to such ideas, we talk about it more and more with the economy going as it is.

The Feds now purchase 80% of US Treasury Bills....Obama just the other day signed legislation to increase the US debt again. We are heading for some deep deep trouble.... I do recommend that everyone read the writing on the wall before its too late cause I won't be able to help you. You won't be able to help you unless you are ready and everyone will be so busy trying to help themselves that most people will be in dire straights.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We are heading for some deep deep trouble.
Yup.

I am doing what I can to prepare for me and mine, but I am also trying to spread the knowledge and even give people tools to help themselves even if they don't see it like I do.

Every one of my friends with lawn space has gotten a big bag full of seeds in the last couple of weeks. Even the neighbor got one hung on her front door knob. She doesn't garden a lot, but I know her brother does, so they can both benefit from the goody bag.

It may sound weird, but I often think of the pilgrims and how they would have starved if it wasn't for pumpkins and other squash. Instead of roasting and eating the squash seeds like I usually do, I dried and bagged them. Butternut, mini pumpkin, pie pumpkin...I also traded for some other pumpkin strains and I have a spaghetti squash that I am cutting open today.

Pumpkins may not save the world or anything, but they are very nutritious, store for MONTHS, and could really be helpful in a time of food shortages.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm growing more pumpkins and winter squash this year as well, WZ! They actually get sweeter the longer they are stored and they store well.

My sheep and chickens love them and I hope to can up some for pie filling this year.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Here is how my ducks feel about pumpkin...
10036622.jpg

10036612.jpg

1003663d.jpg

:D

Being able to use it to feed your critters is another great benefit.

As for summer squash, I give the ducks frozen and thawed shredded zucchini and they really like it. I am going to see if I can dry some too. I have 4 different kinds of seeds to experiment with.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
We are heading for some deep deep trouble.
Yup.

I am doing what I can to prepare for me and mine, but I am also trying to spread the knowledge and even give people tools to help themselves even if they don't see it like I do.

Every one of my friends with lawn space has gotten a big bag full of seeds in the last couple of weeks. Even the neighbor got one hung on her front door knob. She doesn't garden a lot, but I know her brother does, so they can both benefit from the goody bag.

It may sound weird, but I often think of the pilgrims and how they would have starved if it wasn't for pumpkins and other squash. Instead of roasting and eating the squash seeds like I usually do, I dried and bagged them. Butternut, mini pumpkin, pie pumpkin...I also traded for some other pumpkin strains and I have a spaghetti squash that I am cutting open today.

Pumpkins may not save the world or anything, but they are very nutritious, store for MONTHS, and could really be helpful in a time of food shortages.
I wish I was one of your neighbors. Pumpkins and squash = good food. Plus, you have a yard.