Wife needs to stop sending me to town

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife and I are building a 4x8 Duck House. Everything used to build this was made from recycled, besides the nails and screws.

Let's see... There is oak rail road ties cut on the sawmill to 4x4's, there is hard maple rail road ties cut to 2x4's on the sawmill for the rafters. There are spruce 2x4' recycled from demo.there are treated southern yellow pine 2x4' also from demo. There's soft maple log cut into 2x4's and a cedar log also cut into 2x4's for framing. And lastly a 3/4" 4x8 treated sheet of plywood, recycled from where I built my father in law a wheel chair ramp.

$7.00 store bought 2x4's aren't happening, not when I have a perfectly running sawmill. Even the tin for the roof and sides will be from recycled.

I'll post another picture when done and set up by the pond. My wife said if she gives up on ducks, it could be used as a "She Shed" but I can move it around anywhere I want with the bobcat. So it could be used for anything really.
IMG_20210524_113300630~2.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well all the quackery is locked in the duck house on the edge of the pond. I even knocked the tall weeds down so they have a clean shot to the pond in the morning, when my wife let's them out. I hope they take to the pond and mostly stay there. A guy can hope can't he?

Wife said they are hard to catch. Nah... They got long necks, all you gotta do is put one hand down low and shoe them with the other hand and they run right into your lower hand. Almost the same as catching a turkey. They are a bit feisty so keep their wings closed, when you pick them up. Also they have pretty sharp claws on their feet, so watch for those also.

Special note for us guys again ---> Happy Wife / Happy Life. Commitment that catchy phrase to memory 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ducks herd well. They are used to start training dogs sometimes. Teach them to herd to a pole.

Chickens generally scatter. I managed to teach all the silkies to herd to a pole. If I have the white pvc pole they know what that means and head to their pen. I use 2 poles to move them between places.

Penned birds are pretty easy to catch, especially if you use a trout net.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can herd ducks and chickens pretty well. They are trained to a consistent phrase, a fiberglass post in each hand. The trick is to herd them without chasing them. I tap the posts on the ground, and use their phrase to get them where I need them to be. It also helps to have a chute of sorts (an open gate to guide them to their enclosure). And, best to have them just a bit hungry, so they know there is always a tasty reward every time they get herded.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's raining, so it's a good day to be an exploring duck.

Zoomed in pics of ducks in the pond
IMG_20210526_095424053.jpg

IMG_20210526_095323963_HDR.jpg

Also duck house made from recycled / sawmill materials.
IMG_20210526_095538808_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210526_095518385_HDR.jpg

Wife turned to me and said "that makes me happy". I said "happy wife, happy life" she pointed to her head with her pointer finger and said "smart man" 😂 I think I'll pick her up a gallon of oil based Barn Red paint for the duck house.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts