Wife needs to stop sending me to town

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would like to get an ID on these hens with the big hair, I have 4 of them.

IMG_20210407_120241176.jpg
They have normal combs, are very curious and seem to be rather friendly. I can pick them up and they don't mind it much.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Im still thinking colorpack because of color. Probably wont be able to tell until they have full adult feathers in. The legbar in the background can cause small crests. Won't truely know until they lay.
What's a small crest?

Never mind... Crest is the big hair : 😆

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to believe your right based on the description "colorpack"

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's an easter egger based off the legbars. They've been very popular at feed stores around here the last couple years.

I prefer the bearded look of the ameraucana based ones. I just like beards.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like the beards and muffs of the EE. Not so fond of crests, fearful of them b/c of my not wanting any issues with vaulted skulls. Also heard that crests are more prone to mite issues.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never had mite issues on the heads. Only around the rear. I frontline them once a year so never have big mite problems.

Big crests make for vulnerable birds that can't see predators. Silkies never really free range here. I have a grassy fenced courtyard that I let the 5 pens out to alternately. They think it's great and they are safe.

Believe it or not, that mammoth crested hen up there does not have a vaulted skull. She's got the biggest crest here. Some of the other silkies do have vaulted skulls but I've never selected for it because I didn't see a reason or believe the myth about it effecting crest size.

Pumice there came from an unvaulted rooster with a good crest and an unvaulted mother that had the smallest most pathetic crest out there. All her descendents have had big ones.

I don't think legbars have vaulted skulls. Mostly it plagues the big crested breeds like polish and silkies. It was introduced into silkies by breeding in polish to make larger crests.

I am right now imagining T-rex with big poofy feathered crests.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, wife is expanding her flock! 😁

I have some EEs, a few other colored egg layers with only a little crest. I like pretty eggs. Those silkies are a hoot to see....never knew about their styling methods. :lol:

My chickens free range most days and coop at night. Several roos, who have "their" group of hens. So one elder roo, who had many of once his hens taken, has decided to make a group of hens his. They were not with a roo and trained to a different coop.

So, as I open coops, Handsome runs out of his coop to these other hens house...at night he sees them in, then leaves a runs back to his coop!! The other roo there ok with that. :idunno I've closed Handsome into the apparently chosen group but, he flies out and returns to coop that's been his for over 5 yrs. Chickens are strange and smart....habitual! It's odd. He does have a fav hen back home. Guess he needs to see her.

Latest posts