Wife needs to stop sending me to town

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well the simple copper wire solar light string came in. It has 2 modes, flash and constant. It also has an on/off button. You have to cover the solar panel with something dark to know if it's on or off and what mode it's in. So even when it's on its off untill it gets dark, I like that auto sensing feature.

The installation was easy with a staple gun set on it's lightest setting and a drill to feed the wire through from the outside. Installation took about 5 minutes, so I would say it was easy.

I wasn't expecting much for $8.95 plus tax and free shipping. It's plastic and came with a 1.2v nicad rechargeable battery. I took the back cover off via 4 screws and it has a little circuit board inside behind the solar panel. It seems of pretty good quality, so I was surprised. I'll get a pic of the inside of the duck house when it's dark outside.

I guess the plus side to the duck house is the free range chickens found it and are laying eggs in the corner on the floor. I guess I'll need to put a few roosts in there and if the ducks don't take to it, at least the chickens already have.

eBay - I ordered the white ones.
Screenshot_20210604-170553.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could add a few nest boxes and both the ducks and chickens would probably use them. Just make them on the floor and add a dummy egg.

We had ducks a long time ago and the little idiots would lay right next to their pond or as they were swimming. We kept finding eggs in the pond (knee deep).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could add a few nest boxes and both the ducks and chickens would probably use them. Just make them on the floor and add a dummy egg.

We had ducks a long time ago and the little idiots would lay right next to their pond or as they were swimming. We kept finding eggs in the pond (knee deep).
Thanks for the info :) They are still pretty young, might start laying late summer early fall time frame. I've never raised ducks before, so it's all new to me. But you guys sure offer a lot of great tips.​
My wife feeds them 18% all flock in the morning and evening. About supper time, if I'm out back, they start following me around squaking. I tell them "I ain't your momma" but they don't listen. Then something scares them and the high tail it back to the pond with their fast waddle. They are very odd birds is all I can say, looking forward to eating a few though.​
Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸​

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ducks... Never ending sorry. My wife lost a duck last night. We found it on the back side of the pond. Feathers everywhere and the odd thing is what ever got it knew exactly what to eat. It's head was gone and it's guts opened up, liver and heart missing. I found it's body a short distance from the feathers, hidden under a mound of tall grass clippings. I'm thinking coyote or raccoon??? Or maybe a bigfoot with a pocket knife 😂 Whatever it was had claws because there is marks in the dirt in a circle to mound up the grass over top of it. The rest of ducks won't come out of the pond now. Wife says they are scared.

I said well you didn't want to put up a fence. She said and I still don't, I got baxter. He's my hunting dog that she spoiled. We'll it looks like his spoiling days have come to an end. Boss says, he's on duck duty now.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's tough. So sorry. It's always hard to loose a bird. There's a fine balancing act between giving them the freedom they crave, and the safety they need. I'm hoping your remaining flock will be safe on the pond at night. But... wasn't this bird out on the pond???

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife lost another duck last night. I said spoiled dog did not do his job. Since you don't want a fence, either you climb up on the roof of the barn with my shotgun and a flashlight or we get them in the duck house tonight or I process them. She wants to try and get them in the duck house. But I already knew that would be her answer 😂

After closer inspection of the kill site, behind the pond again. I'm thinking raccoon or possum or skunk. All of which we have an abundance around here.

Ever heard the term "sitting duck" well I'm experiencing that now. Country life...

Last edited:

Latest posts