Wifezilla's Rampage - Weekend Update w/ pics

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Your milk is sour??? Oh no! Quick...look up how to make sour cream.

As for the duckweed, Jars hiding in the house might not be a bad idea :) I could also get some in the upper pond that even Shelley can't get in to but I need to make some kind of boom. Otherwise they just float down in to the bog filter which the ducks CAN reach. In fact that is the first place they look when they get loose.
I figured you must have a semi Shelley proof pond/pool spmewhere or else where would you raise the minnows? or is Shelly a Vegan? LOL ~gd

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
or is Shelly a Vegan? LOL ~gd
ha ha ha ha ha! not in that house!

actually WZ - would you be willing to share pix??? i had a lightbulb moment when i read about your minnows..... i got me one of those fancy pond liners just didnt know what to do with it. now i have some ideas......

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I will dig up pics for you and post them here :D

Here is a shot of what the water looks like with the fish in it . I took this one last year.
1004174a.jpg

Just look at all that FREE DUCK FOOD!

Gd, I have so many minnows right now even Shelley's occasional raids haven't dented the population.

I also posted some updates on my chufa experiment over on the easy garden forum. This is turning out to be one of my better crops and I am totally excited even though all those flower gardeners over there don't seem to care :gig
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30119

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wow your little minnows are pretty! I guess I had a more bland little fishing minnow in my head.

I like raising flowers. Roses, violets, pansy, day lily, nasturtium ... oh yeah. You can EAT all of those. :gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You need to try Love Lies Bleeding amaranth. Another pretty edible. Mine is doing great!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Grain amaranth is rather pretty, too. It can be lovely shades of yellow to orange and is quite stunning. To me, anyways! I find oats, wheat, and barley pretty gorgeous, too, so..... :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
WZ, is that tiny leafy stuff on the water duckweed? I may just scout the local farm ponds for it later this summer. When it gets hot the ponds are completely covered with something green, but I never looked closely at it. Probably duckweed, I hope? I'd add it to the pig food for protein, and offer it to the hens and see what happens. It might be good for the chicks in the brooder, too.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Free, it looks like duckweed to me. I had some in my little water garden once and could scoop out handfuls for the chickens. They loved it! Now the ducks would demolish it in minutes so I don't bother. I usually have a friend or two who has some in their pond that's willing to share if I want it. I bet you do too!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:love Pretty! I need to get down to your house soon.

Let's plot.