Wifezilla's Rampage - Weekend Update w/ pics

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Having a big mouth pays off again :D I was yacking with one of the local KOA employees when he stopped by to drop off some shipping and he mentioned they have a Palisade farmer bring cases of peaches in season to sell to the campers. My eyes must have gotten huge because he then said "I still have a few extra. $25 a case."

I told him I would take it and burned rubber over to the camp office to get it in record time :D

The peaches at the farmer's market are apparently encased in gold and have rubies in the center of the pit. They have to be to justify the prices they have been charging. The supermarket peaches taste like .... well.... they have no taste. So I am very happy to finally get some descent affordable peaches.

The customer who gave me the huge load of cabbage brought me some more :D I had given her a few jars of kimchi and some sauerkraut for her hubby from the stuff I processed earlier. Her kimchi loving friend now wants the recipe so I must be doing something right! The hubby did not like the sauerkraut, but she had some friends try it who scarfed it all down. Not everyone is a fan of natural ferments, but I am happy to know that some people out there love my stuff.

Last night I came home from work to find one of my hubbard squashes on the kitchen table cut in to weird shaped pieces. WTF?!?! Apparently my son Max thought I was growing melons in the back yard so he brought it in to eat it. Boy was he disappointed!! LOL I was a bit annoyed because it wasn't quite ripe, but I tasted a piece and it was nom. I am going to cook it down tonight.

Still thinking of Zeus at random times throughout the day. He is missed.
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7759/18245318908361561501398.jpg
Thanks for all the nice thoughts everyone.
lol, was that a chimenea(sp?)?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes :D Had it for less than a week before hubby knocked it over and broke the chimney. It became a planter after that ... and a cat nap station during the garden off season.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Abi, I am going to get cases of maters next week. Let me know how many you want. $18/case. It's $15/case at the farm, but I don't feel like driving all the way out to Swink :D

Made some peach & hot pepper jam today. I hear pinging :D Love that sound.

Made some snacks for me and hubby today. I thin sliced jicama on the mandolin slicer, covered the slices with cream cheese and topped with them with red pepper jelly. Nom nom nom! If you are feeling all fancy, you can even roll these up and tie them with a piece of chive.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Well, we wanna do a bunch of tomato sauce. How many pints would a case make?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
Well, we wanna do a bunch of tomato sauce. How many pints would a case make?
I recently did 40 lbs of tomatoes as sauce and got 8x 750 ml/25.5 oz recycled pasta sauce jars full :)

(I have friends who save these jars for me, they are from Classico pasta sauce and the jars say Atlas Mason and fit standard canning jar lids and rings. I find that they are the perfect size jar for how we use canned tomato sauce.)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Thanks Moolie!!!

Get me two cases and we'll see what that makes! :D If it's not quite enough I'll make more next year, if it's way too much, I am SURE I can find uses for spaghetti sauce :p

Anyone have a fave 'sketti sauce to share?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I freeze my tomatoes Abi and then after they are hard put them in warm water and the peels just easily skin off. Plus it is easier to trim out the core and any bad spots when frozen. ;)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
THANKS FF :)

Auntie, I guess just chuck em all in the freezer for now then ;)