Wifezilla's Rampage - Weekend Update w/ pics

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so glad we built the run where there was already a roof and when we extended it the roof was extended too. Hubby worked on his hands and knees in that run to perfect their little roosting house with his level and battery operated drill - the chickens just walked over his feet like he wasn't there. I kept telling him - they're just chickens, but he's a perfectionist. The only problem with having a perfectionist is his feelings get hurt when I tell him I'd like to have it changed. I'm going to have to change it myself, I guess.

I wrap my run on 3 sides with heavy plastic in winter to keep them from the cold wind - but they seem to thrive in the cold. I had one last year that went through a heavy molt - I'm talking nekkid chicken - and I really worried about her - she was fine.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ducks are easy. Just find an old dog igloo and you are set :D As for the pen, they don't care if it is all wet and nasty. I DO...but they are happy either way!

Ducks = pigs with feathers

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
29901424971805543811398.jpg

Guess which squash was growing up in the grape vine...and the squirrels had easy access to?

32163324980254155021398.jpg

Fermented salsa with roasted peppers and tomatoes from the garden.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The salsa simply makes me drool! :drool

Love the hubbards! I have never tried to grow those in all of these years. I usually just buy them at the Farmers Market.

My new found solution to all of that mud in the pens is un-colored bark mulch. The stuff drains like gravel, yet it will compost down after time. I just keep dumping on a new layer when the mud starts showing back up. After a year or so I scrape it all out down to the real dirt and start over. I just scraped it down a week or so ago and filled all of the divots in my yard then spread the rest over the lawn as compost. Now I am waiting for more of my seeds to sprout to fill in those bald patches. :cool:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score

edited to link to the awesome cracked article :D Click the tornado!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Fly across the cosmos my dear friend in peace and be free of pain. You left this site years ago, but I was blessed to know you in person so the friendship and laughter has continued this past decade. I enjoyed our visits.

I will miss you my friend, until we meet again....July 9, 2021 was a sad day

Latest posts