Wild DOGS hmmmmm

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree feral dogs are extremely dangerous. To adults as well as children. No real inherent fear of humans, most times, plus you get that pack mentality going that can make even puppies dangerous to anything they can collectively overpower.

Next year I plan to move the geese with goslings (if they produce) into what is essentially the front lawn. Which will make them more visuble to dogs as well as not behind the reinforced pasture fencing. I don't plan to have them out anytime I'm not home but my attitude might have to change by then.

Hopefully my dog will step up and be reliable by then. He's already a good guard and the other dogs run from him, but I'm a LONG way from leaving him alone with my livestock. Not at all sure he will be useful there next year.

Sorry to hear you've already had trouble. I agree ... You have to take care of it by whatever means.

I love my dog, but I DO NOT allow him to roam and I wouldn't be able to blame anyone that saw him as a threat to livestock.

Good luck keeping your animals safe. I hope you get the whole pack wiped out. Quick.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Even without being in a pack, feral dogs can be a threat. There was just an attack on a small girl about 50 miles east of here. While I don't know if it was actually feral, just a vicious dog that someone dropped off, or it escaped from a yard, the results are the same.

Dog attack sends Region 8 girl to the emergency room

And while I understand the family wanting the authorities to catch the dog, I believe that I would take matters into my own hands. Reyno is a small enough town that I believe the neighbors would understand shooting the dog in town. And if not, I would have to take my chances in court, to know if it were rabid or not.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with you. There is no way I could stand there and look at a dog that had attacked my small child that way waiting for the pound truck, only to have the dog escape before they got there. Any dog that would attack that way needs to be taken out, not continually left to roam.

I'd shoot one on the spot if it actually attacked my goats. Of course, with a child I'd be running the dog off first and taking care of the child, but if I saw it again after that ...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They stopped selling toxic anti-freeze here in these parts many years ago....this I know. :rolleyes:

You can get poisons that merely make the animal bleed to death internally....which isn't too bad a way to go, actually. I've seen humans bleed to death in this manner and there isn't really any pain. Just a nervous feeling and slight discomfort if the bleeding is in the abdomen.

I can't imagine the poison being more painful than being hooked. A few bars of JustOneBite over near those old chicken houses just might rid you of these dogs.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I say turn it into a "coyote" hunt. :) Would be easier, since they don't quite have the cunning of coyotes, and may be a little less fearful of human scent. Definately erradicate the bastards.