Wild Game for Pets

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Humane is causing little to no pain during the process of raising, catching, hunting, and slaughtering meat animals.

So leg traps and the like are a no.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Soybean said:
I only know of one true butcher in the area but I'll give the yellow pages a look. He only sells "prime cuts" and doesn't sell anything else. I live in the suburbs of Richmond, Va, so I'll have some looking to do to find someone who humanely raises meat animals.
How far are you from Swoope? ;) Joel Salatin at Polyface farms may be able to point you in the right direction. He and his neighbor just bought their own processing place and they both raise animals in a natural setting.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Soybean said:
Humane is causing little to no pain during the process of raising, catching, hunting, and slaughtering meat animals.

So leg traps and the like are a no.
I would advise getting in with someone raising meat rabbits and see if you can't buy into their operation for exchange in meat. Maybe pay for some rabbits, keep them there, and exchange part of the litters for their upkeep and feeding. That way you can raise your own meats without having them at your home. :idunno

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That might be a good idea. It would be so much easier to just raise my own.

Does anyone know what kinds of wild game are in season right now for Virginia?

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
To feed your dogs raw you must feed different meats, organs, etc. all the body parts from swine, bovine, venison, chicken, etc. There are great sites to research to understand the basis of feeding raw.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Nothing is in season here yet....I think that you could probably get in touch with someone that raises meat rabbits. Try going on petchickensofvirginia.com and see if anyone on there has anything you can use. Lots of those people raise more than chickens and they are all in va. Hope that helps, you could even put a post in the wanted section on there.