wind farms heating up the earth??

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They're bringing warmer air down during times of an inversion, just as wind machines do for orchards and vineyards during spring freezes, to prevent frost damage. They are "warming a small piece of ground," not "warming the earth."

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I dunno that i'd consider it a small piece of ground...lots of those wind farms are huge and could affect large areas. Just my opinion.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I dunno that i'd consider it a small piece of ground...lots of those wind farms are huge and could affect large areas. Just my opinion.
IMO, our urban footprint does the same thing, we build a road, house, etc, it all has an impact on the environment. Localized warming is all though, I believe the cycles of the sun have more to do with the larger picture of global warming.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't really believe in "global warming" as it is most often described. I do believe the sun accounts for most, but I think it's just normal cyclic activity myself. Yeah we contribute a few degrees here or there in urban areas, but I think the big picture is it's all the suns fault :lol: Who knows...years ago we were gonna freeze to death by now :hu They'll change their minds again soon and we can worry about something new ;)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dams have an effect on everything downstream, so I'm not surprised that windmills have an effect.

This article highlights the fallacy of composition---what's good for individuals may not be good for a group. A windmill on your property probably won't disrupt weather, but thousands of huge windmills probably will. Peeing on a tree isn't a problem, but a city without sewers is a disaster.

I'm an advocate for the other alternative energy---people power. If we had a better idea how much energy was needed to keep up with so-called modern lifestyles, I think we'd re-consider many of our activities.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The surface of the earth is approximately 500,000,000 square km. What percentage of that do you estimate is affected by bringing down air that is 1-2C warmer than the surface, for a few hours of the early morning, on some days?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
The surface of the earth is approximately 500,000,000 square km. What percentage of that do you estimate is affected by bringing down air that is 1-2C warmer than the surface, for a few hours of the early morning, on some days?
Depends on where you live, here, is 0% affected, but right by the wind farms I'm guessing 100% ;)

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
DeniseCharleson said:
Depends on where you live, here, is 0% affected, but right by the wind farms I'm guessing 100% ;)
Then the wind farms aren't "heating up the earth."

Latest posts