Winter already?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My sister rented an old mobile home for a couple of years. When the wind blew really strong, you could see the floor in the hallway do the wave, lol. She had many 3 dog, 2 cat nights in that place.

Wyoming was nice temperature and sunlight wise - the temps in summer were below 90 and the lowest temp in winter was -17 one year. It is sunny 65% of the days. However, the wind is frightful. Winter winds - everyday it was windy - were about 25 minimum and we had sustained winds of 65 mph on many occasions. We had wind gusts over 100 mph while we were out there.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep just a barrel of "fun" alright :eek:
IMG_20181114_175339213.jpg

Glad I already got my deer so I don't have to hunt in all this "fun".

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ok I admit I like the first snow for maybe 5 seconds but even that is pushing it. It's snowing here right now and the snow storm is named Avey.

:thThey are naming snow storms now???? I've heard everything now.

I like snow. Always have. I like colder weather better as well.

Same here. I love winter, I love the snow and I even don't mind driving in the snow....been doing it most of my life and I find it really tests your driving skill level, which I like.

See how "fun" I am? Truck has 4 wheel drive. I won't have another truck without it.
View attachment 8924

CC, they call that a "skiff" of snow around here....where do you live again? :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we moved here from the Bay area of CA, I had never driven in snow. DH told me "Drive like you don't have any brakes." Best advice I've ever heard.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Remember I used to be CrealBilly.I have ours hooked up to a gas grill cylinder, secured in a old milk create. With a long rubber hose and a regulator. You really need some backup heat source that doesn't use electricty just in case the power goes out during a storm or something... Our propane furnace won't run without electricity. So if worst came to worst, my wife and I could hunker down on the porch and stay warm until the electric came back on. My wife insists that I maintain two full bottles at all times during the winter.
View attachment 8933p

View attachment 8934
You have to admit this is BILLY but it's easy and works very well :) happy wife, happy life!
That's a great idea! Back up heat is essential in winter. Thankfully my heating comes from the woodburner, so I'm o.k. no matter what. As long as I have enough fuel to stock it with. Talking of which, I got given some turf to burn. This is hard to come by unless you bought a timeshare on a bit of the bog, or know someone that does.

IMG_20181115_151115.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother .. No, it blows.

Here is a Wyoming joke: Why is Wyoming so windy? Because Idaho blows and Nebraska sucks.

sustained 30 mph winds is a typical winter day in Wyoming, at least where I lived near Cheyenne at 7400 feet. It could be sunny, blue skies and almost 50 degrees out, but 30 mph winds makes you stay inside..

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
71 here today. Rainy. But, predict temps upper 50 to low 60s all week. That's not a huge amount above normal here. Jan/Feb are our really cold months. Hoping no more snow, hoping!

What we should all pray for now is good garden weather in 2019!! I so want that to happen. Two years in a row have been fairly crappy here. But I am really focused on a good garden this coming year. I want to refill my freezer and canning jars! :D

Also need to do a large replenish of egg layer flock. That means good broody workers. I prefer hen raised as I free range and they teach the young ones to forage.

Seems like so little to ask....good garden, good hatches. :idunno:clap

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's still very mild here. People are getting bored (weather and complaining about it is a hot topic in Ireland), so they switched to complaining about Met Éireann (the Irish National Meteorological Service) instead. Apparently they can't get the weather warnings right, it's either too much, or not serious enough. And don't get me started on the poor souls having to do the forecasts in the evening news! lol

Weather forcast... It's the only profession I know of where you can be wrong most of the time and still have a job.

Last edited: