NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The snow wasn't sticky enough so DD made a flat snowman:lol:
20190109_162328.jpg

Lynne

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I like to acclimate to the cold. We wait to put our heat on until it gets to about 53 inside the house. Once you are used to feeling chilly you can easily live at a lower inside temperature all winter. I think the mistake is to throw the heat on too early. Living a bit cooler is healthier I think, especially for sleeping.

I just hunker down at night under some weighted kapok throws I have made for this occasion :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our refrigerator went out yesterday. We put stuff we wanted to save in the back of my wife's CRV. Got down to 22 last night. I told my wife I think this the first time we used a car as a refrigerator :lol:. It's 36 right now and I'm waiting for the delivery guys to bring a new refrigerator.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too! I did see a National Weather Service prediction that this winter will be warmer and wetter than usual across the US.... I'm gonna withhold agreement with that one until it's proven!

Weather guessers at their finest :) heck here in southern IL they can't even guess the weather correctly 2 hours in advance. You'll look at the forcast sunny and clear yet you see a storm off in the horizon :( my confidence level with the weather guessers is pretty much zero.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As you age and your skin & fat layers thin, you do not tolerate extremes as well. I know that if I get chilled it takes a good amount to get warmed back up. So I do wear long johns most all winter. Don't like to walk around shivering.

It's been 40-45 most mornings here, of late, but inside it's in the 64 range. I can deal with that but, lower & I'm not comfy. Generally I turn a small heater on for an hour, cut the chill, then off. Same in evening when I get home from work -- on with heat, out to do chores, back in and heat generally off. That will change in another month! Light heat longer & pilot on propane 24/7 makes it ok most of the time. Jan/Feb, heat!! I like 70-72 winter & 74-75 summer, inside. Neither is extreme, IMO. I dress accordingly with more/less layers.

Winters my FEET must be in socks. Can't deal with cold feet. I also use a heated mattress cover … so low heat at night in house but, warm bed.

I remember nights in WV at grands...there was no insulation, wood heat via big stove in lvgrm. We had blankets so heavy you could barely move -- hand made quilts. But, you didn't WANT to move because the spot you turned to was so cold. No way to circulate the heat.
Huddle by the fire. Maybe why I loved the kitchen. Smaller room and always warm/hot stove.