Winter already?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The repair man who I called to look at the furnace can't even come until the 25th. Excellent timing, with night time temps scheduled for below 0*F between now and then. Most days will not get up to 20*. Wood and pellet stoves are maxed out, with it being pretty cold in the house last night. Oh well. We'll not be burning much oil. The man I talked to recommended that we install a CO monitor upstairs if we do use the furnace. So... it's off to Lowes to buy more pellets and a CO monitor today.

I thank God that we have the pellet and wood stove. Many folks who live in snow country do not have an alternate heat source. If their furnace goes on the blink, they are in a world of hurt.

Emergency backup heat is must up there.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Repairman came as expected on Friday. He pronounced a death sentence on our furnace. So, now, we're collecting names, exploring options for type of heating, and looking for estimates. We're not going to rush into a hasty decision. We've made it through 3 weeks of sometimes sub zero night time temps. While it's an inconvenience to not be able to turn the furnace on, it's doable. We lived here for the first few years with nothing other than wood heat.