Winter already?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going to be in the single digits tonight , and below zero tomorrow night. Ugh.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winter is here, winter is here :weee

Screenshot_2019-01-10-21-46-11.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You guys make me shiver! I'm unhappy with 24-26 for wake up temps tomorrow. We don't get prolonged snow here. 8" for a week is ultra dramatic! We do generally get 2 weeks of freeze --- 20 nights & 30 days. If snow & cold at same time happens, it's massive traffic issues.

I do sometimes pull jugs on a tarp, sled, whatever is handy. But I don't have a great distance to go, often carrying is easier. Our snow is often wet & packed, so foot traction is questionable. Plus, if it IS cold for several days, I bite the bullet and plug in the heated tubs. Expensive! They pull a lot of power. Then there's the frozen hoses, issues and I usually cut off field water below ground. :idunno If cold is below 32 day & night, not worth running water up and have busted pipes. I have a couple spare 100 gal troughs & have had to fill, break ice & bucket into the heated smaller 50 gal ones, if prolonged cold. We don't get months of it like you Northerners. That's why I don't live there :D Couldn't hack it! Jan/Feb are our cold months.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
9* this morning. Heading to minus digits (night) for the next few days, then back up to single digits (night) for a few days. If the day time temp gets up to 20*, I'm happy with that.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Between now and ground hog day, we are scheduled for one night when temps will make it up to double digits. Lots of negative numbers. So, time to put an other blanket on the bed!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
9* this morning. Heading to minus digits (night) for the next few days, then back up to single digits (night) for a few days. If the day time temp gets up to 20*, I'm happy with that.
Between now and ground hog day, we are scheduled for one night when temps will make it up to double digits. Lots of negative numbers. So, time to put an other blanket on the bed!

....nope....no way....heck no... :th

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will 2nd, 3rd & 4th what FEM says !!! BRRRR weather isn't for me. Nope. Nada.

It was 23 at sunup this morning, so you would be ok with it @Lazy Gardener :D Yep, downright balmy for you. Not for me. But with no wind, it wasn't real bad. We're up to 33 now. I did use about 10 gal hot water, so all troughs, dishes, etc. were useable. About 3/4" ice on larger ones. Sun is out and we mmaaayyy get to 38-39. Then 20 tonight.

This IS WINTER -- and if it was no worse than this, can handle. Wind is a downer! Lucky today, very slight breeze occasionally. Then tomorrow late, for sure rain, probably a mix, maybe even couple inches. :idunno :caf

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've got a call in to a furnace repair person. When the furnace runs, I smell oil. So, it will be shut off until we have it looked at. Not a major issue b/c we have wood stove upstairs and pellet stove down stairs. But, need that furnace for the times we are away from home and can't tend the wood or pellet stoves.