Winter Car Kit

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What do you keep in your car during a snowy winter?

I have kept blankets in the car, and usually add boots if I wear shoes. Not sure what else I should include.

I'm always turned off by long lists of items of things I won't use. My most likely situation is a minor car accident and waiting for sheriff/tow truck, or getting stuck in a ditch and either waiting for help or walking a couple miles.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snacks! With a diabetic DH we always try to have snacks in the car.

I took a road trip, alone, to Oklahoma one winter just in time for a bodacious winter storm. I had a sleeping bag, extra clothes, water and of course snacks with me. I also had a goat in the back of the truck (with a camper cover). The bed of the truck was very well bedded for his comfort. I guess I could've cuddled up to a stinky goat if things got desperate, lol.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did some videos on this topic a while back, before i deleted my channel.

in my truck i have an axe, saw, shovel, chains, jumper cables, very comprehensive mechanics tool kit, a tradesman tool kit, tarp, rope, and some stuff to light a fire.

in the family car we have a trauma/first aid kit, tool kit with jumper cables, tow ropes, and a survival kit that has some of those emergency ration bars, and a whole bunch of survival stuff. the wife usually keeps a case of bottled water in the car for the kids and some snacks as well.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can of sardines- I've been happy more than once that I had one in the car. I dunno if that's bear proof, but we don't have that many bears here... mostly Cats and Coyotes.
DH made up a small kit of tools and extra parts for simple break-downs: broken belts, hoses, that sort of thing. We belong to CERT, so we have emergency kits in all cars for that too.
One thing we just got for each vehicle is a GOOD QUALITY tourniquet. If someone has arterial bleeding, you don't have the luxury of waiting for an ambulance. Make sure it's one you can operate one-handed too; might save your life.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice if you coat up any problem spots ahead of time.

There is a WD-40 with silicone in it. It works very nicely. You can spray along all gaskets to keep them from freezing together.

I haven't used it in locks... but I have used them on chains running through pulleys, on bike chains, and on gaskets. Works very nicely.

Boobalacka

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
What do you keep in your car during a snowy winter?

I have kept blankets in the car, and usually add boots if I wear shoes. Not sure what else I should include.

I'm always turned off by long lists of items of things I won't use. My most likely situation is a minor car accident and waiting for sheriff/tow truck, or getting stuck in a ditch and either waiting for help or walking a couple miles.
I keep granola bars, T-lights, stowaway shovel, glo sticks, blankets, sleeping bag,flashlight, mitts, scarf, extra coat, medical kit ( for your use or someone else’s) If I’m travelling out for the day ( in the winter) I always carry a 24 hr supply of dog kibble. ( if I’ve got my dogs) a friend had to detour once, avalanche and rock slide inadvertently sent her to a hotel for the night with her dogs. She had no food for them.
Hope this helps.