Winter Car Kit

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can of sardines- I've been happy more than once that I had one in the car. I dunno if that's bear proof, but we don't have that many bears here... mostly Cats and Coyotes.
DH made up a small kit of tools and extra parts for simple break-downs: broken belts, hoses, that sort of thing. We belong to CERT, so we have emergency kits in all cars for that too.
One thing we just got for each vehicle is a GOOD QUALITY tourniquet. If someone has arterial bleeding, you don't have the luxury of waiting for an ambulance. Make sure it's one you can operate one-handed too; might save your life.

i think canned items are sealed and cleaned well enough to not be attractive to bear, but i still wouldn't keep them in a vehicle because i'd more likely want to eat them. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Even growing up in the 70s-80s, Grandma always had bottles of Pepsi in the trunk in case we had an issue while going to town, or over to Pendleton or Kennewick. Very important to have something to drink if you break down in the high desert.

She would have water as well once bottled water was easily available.

Yes, it was glass bottles. We could buy glass at the store until the mid to late 90s.

on trips in hot places i always carried at least five gallons of potable water.

i could not keep anything in my car here when the mice were always living in it. anything they would chew up. they sure made a mess out of the glove box. i even had to remove the back seats, carpeting, padding and the trunk liner and they were still in the car someplace i could not find. very frustrating... also i could never find where they were getting into the car and the mechanic couldn't either. i had to put wire mesh over the air filter and i had to foam fill the reinforcement struts in the hood because they were living in those hollow spaces too. i was glad i thought to check the air-filter as they had just started building a nest in there and had almost chewed through it. that would have made an expensive mess of the motor had they gotten through that...