Winter Storm Thread....how deep is your snow?

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
More snow! Talked to my niece in the next county and she has 4-5 ft. on the ground and scheduled to have at least another foot tonight.

I think everyone is kind of shell-shocked around here....no more runs on the grocery store. Everyone just quietly goes home and prepares for the next day of scraping, shoveling and driving in four wheel drive.

I can't mention it around here for fear of getting lynched, but each new snow is just as pretty as the last. I really like the feeling of driving home in hushed whiteness, no other cars on the road and the mountains veiled in snow showers. All the houses lit up and smoke falling from the chimneys...so cozy! Almost like a Kincaid painting.... then I get to my own front door and walk into warmth and light. Bliss! :love
Better be careful...Before you know it you will be moving up to the snow belt... Hushed whiteness is a good description. The monocrome world, all white and grey has a stark beauty to it.

When you live in snow country, you don't try to fight it. You design your structures, roads and life with big snow loads in mind! That way it is not so much work when it comes. Just a season that has a very different beauty than summer.
ON

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We are in the snowbelt but haven't been walloped like some more southern states this year. Still, I can't get my car out of the driveway.
I have been shoveling to keep up, but my drive is about 400' long of 15" snow. I thought I had it where I could pull out, scattered ashes the entire length, but still got stuck on the bend. It must be weird snow this time, because I've used this method every year. :rant
It is pretty, everything looks clean and orderly; pristine.
Until I can get my car out I'll be enjoying the view.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Last year we moved up here to the mountains and had enough snow for two or three years. This year we had a dusting of snow and snow fell a few times, but we haven't had much.
But last year set new records for our area, we had four feet that lasted several months, making everything inaccessible.
This year we were more prepared and ready to be in the deeper snow but we didn't have it happen (yet). Go figger. I don't want to be snowed in again any time soon, that is for sure.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, that 4 letter word...we got another 10 inches yesterday...and have another storm coming this weekend! Its a few feet deep here...and with the drifts..almost impossible to get around the farm. My poor little poms wouldnt venture a foot past the door...so hubby went out and made paths in the back yard for them.
99_muncherinsnow.jpg

Thats Muncher....inspecting hubbys work! :lol: He followed hubby the whole way...patiently waiteing to get back to the door.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Wow, that 4 letter word...we got another 10 inches yesterday...and have another storm coming this weekend! Its a few feet deep here...and with the drifts..almost impossible to get around the farm. My poor little poms wouldnt venture a foot past the door...so hubby went out and made paths in the back yard for them.
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/99_muncherinsnow.jpg
Thats Muncher....inspecting hubbys work! :lol: He followed hubby the whole way...patiently waiteing to get back to the door.
Awwwwww, that's sweet to dig a path for the doggies. He's a keeper.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another 8 inches yesterday. Snow pack at least 2.5 feet in general places, more in drifts. My back coop door doesn't want to swing out over packed snow, so last night I worked up a sweat chipping the pack away. :rant

More snow to come. :hit I just hope to get to a wedding on the 27th.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a few feet of snow as well. It just keeps coming! We can get to everything but the daily plowing, snowblowing and shoveling are getting tiresome. The animals are tired of being kept around the barn too. They do have overhang space as well as their stalls but definitely not the same as being out in the field. I don't mind the cold and I don't even mind some light snow, but this is ridiculous.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After months of little snow, which is unusual for us, we woke up to snow this morning. Its still snowing even now and the weather network and we're supposed to have 1-3cm of snow, but at about 8am we had already had that much!

The horses are happy about the snow, Mylie was bucking and playing and Luna was trotting about. The goats are PO'd though, because someone forgot to lock them up last night so they got to witness the snow starting LOL.