With hunting season knockin at the door....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know I am not squeamish.....most farmers like us aren't squeamish...if we were we would never process our own chickens, treat wounds and diseases ourselves, etc. etc.

Alot of nasty work on the farm that is done by all of us...LOL...I think most of us on the forum can handle blood and guts..LOL

I love fishing. I am not a hunter. Tony bow hunts and shoots.

We crappie fish at night. I love that big time cause it is so quiet and being on the lake at night is just wonderful......and tons of crappie to fry! YUMMY

Tony is getting into trout fishing. Last camping trip he caught 3 small ones and they were delish on the grill!

Any category for hunting and fishing is fine with me!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No everybody are farmers

***That is true ticks. not everyone wants to know how to process a deer or whatever..LOL...

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
No everybody are farmers

***That is true ticks. not everyone wants to know how to process a deer or whatever..LOL...
True, true, Sorry for my typo ;)
I process more birds (not chickens) then deer. I have only shot one, and my dad didn't want to risk any of the meat (small deer) But up in Anticosti, my dad had o process his own deer haha. I must process 30 birds per year. which involves....I'm not gonna say more lets continue if we get a small section. PLEASE NIFTY!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Living in Minnesota deer hunting is quite common. We have 42 acres of land around the river surrrounded by state land on two side of a triangle shaped parcel. It makes for some good deer hunting. My husband is leagally allowed to take two deer, one by shotgun, one by bow. My oldest son and I each take one by shotgun. So we usually process at least three or four a year. We eat alot of venison. One of our favorite meals is venison roast!! So anyway a hunting, fishing type catagory would be a good idea.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ticks, Nifty can always move this post to the new section if he makes one!

So...I'll begin it!

We have used what is commonly known as the "golf ball" method of skinning for many years now. We use a hammer instead....not too many golf balls in hillbilly heaven! :D We find this leaves virtually no hair on the meat, which makes for a more pleasant processing.

We also use 3-4 knives for the dressing process. One to cut off hock glands before gutting. One to cut around the anus, milk sac and/or penis. One to gut. One to start the cape and cut around legs for skinning. This way there is no cross contamination of the meat from the more..er, "dirty" body parts. We have found over the years that any contamination can instantly make for some "wild" taste in the meat. Since we started this practice many years ago, we don't have any strong tasting venison. We also don't hang our meat unless it is a very cold day. We quarter and chill in the fridge for a day before packaging.

The only meat we cut for steaks now is the tenderloin. We found that they don't require any tenderizing, so are easy to prepare. The rest is canned, ground or jerked as we see fit. For our lifestyle, the ground or canned deer meat is easier. The boys tend to fix easy meals instead of difficult ones, so I gear the packaging towards their style of cooking, as well as mine.

For wild turkey, we skin instead of pluck, fry the breast and crock pot the rest. Butterfly steaks from turkey breast is probably the finest meat in the world to us!