With hunting season knockin at the door....

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know much about hunting but I asked my father in law if I coould help him butcher the venison this year. I can't go hunting with him but I can help out and learn from the part remaining at home...

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sandra- I love your avatar! And your little write up there below your post! How exciting! You should blog about your new farm-life adventures!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Speaking of hunting.... I saw this grotesquely hilarious movie last night. If you enjoy hunting (movie is about deer camp) or if you've ever travelled through "da U.P." (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) then you've got to see this movie.

It's calld "Escanaba In Da Moonlight" (At least I think that's what it's called?) it starts out a little slow... but ends up bein' so funny. Like I said, if you enjoy hunting or go to 'deer camp' then you'd get a kick out of this. It's PG13 Jeff Daniels (from Dumb and Dumber and others) wrote and starred in this. My DH had tears pouring out of his eyes he was LOL so hard.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
heatherv said:
Speaking of hunting.... I saw this grotesquely hilarious movie last night. If you enjoy hunting (movie is about deer camp) or if you've ever travelled through "da U.P." (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) then you've got to see this movie.

It's calld "Escanaba In Da Moonlight" (At least I think that's what it's called?) it starts out a little slow... but ends up bein' so funny. Like I said, if you enjoy hunting or go to 'deer camp' then you'd get a kick out of this. It's PG13 Jeff Daniels (from Dumb and Dumber and others) wrote and starred in this. My DH had tears pouring out of his eyes he was LOL so hard.
Thanks I will check it out!

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh yeah, we Michiganders know it well. In fact, my cousin was even in an Escanaba in the Moonlight play!!! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How about reviving Tick's thread in honor of the pending hunting season? :)

Feel free to ask questions or post about your hunt here until we can maybe get an appropriate category or maybe a Blog site where hunters can post about their experiences!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We not hunters I wish we were...but I always told DH that with my temper we didn't need any guns in the house to tempt me:>) LOL!
I do remember as a kid though, growing up in Northern Ontario Canada, all the moose heads on the hoods of cars. They were trophied for about a week after being shot, on the hoods of peoples cars/trucks. I can remember city people who had recently moved North writing letters to our newspaper to try to have this practice banned because it was givng thier kids nightmares:>)
It is banned now, I think, I haven't seen anyone trophy a moose head in years

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
We not hunters I wish we were...but I always told DH that with my temper we didn't need any guns in the house to tempt me:>) LOL!
I do remember as a kid though, growing up in Northern Ontario Canada, all the moose heads on the hoods of cars. They were trophied for about a week after being shot, on the hoods of peoples cars/trucks. I can remember city people who had recently moved North writing letters to our newspaper to try to have this practice banned because it was givng thier kids nightmares:>)
It is banned now, I think, I haven't seen anyone trophy a moose head in years
I guess that's no more odd than the practice around here of driving around with a deer draped across the hood of your vehicle for a day, showing it off to all and sundry.....then complaining to folks that your venison has a "wild" taste and must be soaked in brine in order to taste right!

Now, I'm wondering if someone took a good beef, draped it over a hot car hood, drove around all day in 50 degree weather and finally hung it up to be skinned and a day or two later, processed.....just wondering if it might also have a "wild" taste? :p