With hunting season knockin at the door....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL
yea but the "show off" of a big rack or critter is a big thing to some hunters...worth the wild taste...LOL

In NH we were riding out for breakfast and a truck had a huge black bear in the bed...you should have seen the crowd and the hunter really working the story of the hunt...LOL--enjoyed every bit of the story he told! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
LOL-LOL
yea but the "show off" of a big rack or critter is a big thing to some hunters...worth the wild taste...LOL

In NH we were riding out for breakfast and a truck had a huge black bear in the bed...you should have seen the crowd and the hunter really working the story of the hunt...LOL--enjoyed every bit of the story he told! :)
The sad thing about that is that the venison sometimes goes to waste when the "trophy" has to be displayed in this manner. I'm here to tell you that antlers~ though they can be ground up and put into various recipes for the sheer calcium benefit~ do not provide the volume of food available in the actual meat on the deer! :D :lol:

My Dad used to obsess about big bucks and has a few on the wall...collecting dust and splitting from the heat of the wood stove. :p I've always told my boys that a real hunter doesn't waste the meat and doesn't have to decorate with dead animal parts to show how good a hunter he can be.....just put the food on the table, take a picture of a big one if you must brag and act like it ain't no thang! If you are a really good hunter, its old hat to kill a deer, even a big one.

A bear? Use that meat, even for the dogs, if nothing else. Tan that hide if you want a souvenir...they can come in handy as a warm rug! :D

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, this really isn't the place for a hunting section, although I do agree it's necessary. Perhaps there should be a hunting section under 'Frugal Living'? I also think The Self Sufficient Kitchen should be up there, too.

Rob, what do you think?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh I agree---even if trophy hunting only...the meat should be donated to someone who will benefit.

no this guy in NH just shot his bear and was on his way home to cut into bear steaks. it sure wasn't being wasted by him!

Tony shot a big white sheep and has the head mounted. I hate that thing..soooo huge, just takes over the wall....but it is down now in the shed and no telling what it looks like now..LOL...that was at a hunting camp and they BBQ'd that sheep and the camp ate well that night!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I would LOve to have a huge bear rug on every bed in this house...and antlers don't bother me either...as long as the animal wasn't killed just for those reasons of course.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom hates dusting the critters!!! And what do you do with those when someone dies..pass it down? Oh, these are the deer my dad killed! In a land where the deer hooves are turned into gun racks and lamps~which is recycling in a way~I have always found decorating with dead animals to be very tacky! Of course, I'm in the minority in the mountains...and thought to be a real weirdo!!! :D

I don't mind tanning the hides or even mounting the actual horns...but the whole head? Forever being stared at by something you have eaten years ago? Like mounting a particularly beautiful chicken's head on the wall in the bathroom and hanging washclothes off her feet! :lol: :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA
the mounting is the final glory to the hunt.
hmm..hunting a chicken!
Many a deer has outwitted Tony big time! :)

I hate mounts also. They do nothing for me really. Not a decorator's dream LOL
When we got married that is why the wild sheep mount is in the shed...not on my wall..HA HA

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Guys, I'm moving this thread into Everything Else Frugality. We need a clean request to Rob without all the conversation, so I'll repost the request in a new thread up here in the SS News, Info & Feedback forum.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
between my son, my dad and my uncle they may process close to a dozen deer per year. Most of the meat we use is venison. They also help my uncle process his hogs, about 2 a year. Any Pa Dutch out there know about scrapple? My grandmother is 83, my uncle is over 60 and still she adds the seasonings.

I almost had a nice size spike buck this morning....does it count if its with the car?