Wolf-Kim: My head is spinning!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Welcome, wish I had started my journey at your age! I feel like I'm trying to catdh up all the time. I look forward to hearing more from you! What kind of chickens do you have?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Welcome, wish I had started my journey at your age! I feel like I'm trying to catdh up all the time. I look forward to hearing more from you! What kind of chickens do you have?
We have Mottled Java and Cuckoo Marans. We have a few "pet" birds running around, from the EE, to a couple Silver Grey Dorking pullets, and a couple of Sumatra. They are mainly yard ornaments. Used to breed them, but downsized the breeding portion to just a couple of pens.

We'll probably add them back to the breeding program in a few years, when we can build more pens and afford more feed, just trying to keep the chickens from getting to be "too" much, especially since I've been pushing for a Jersey cow. :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I know the feeling....still adding more chickens though, even though hubby is promising goats in the spring :p

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, just had to share!

Rabbits are the newest addition(addiction) and just had to share the "first".

So, I was suppose to give Doe #1 her box the day after tomorrow, but the doe was fretting so much, I took pity. I went ahead and gave her the nestbox and some hay, she literally jumped for joy and immediately went into the nestbox and started organizing. Here she is several hours later and with the second handful of hay I've given her! Busy, busy, busy!!

bunnest.jpg

:bun :bun :bun :bun

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whoo hoo! I got my first two Cuckoo Maran eggs this week! Not as dark as they were anticipated to be, but glad to have ANY chicken eggs after they've been on strike for so long.

Something took one of my free range pullets this morning. I'm thinking a bobcat, because only one bird was taken. Had it been a fox, he would have returned for more birds in such a short amount of time. Adam is going to dislike me, but we need a livetrap. I'm sick of birds going missing and then having no way to capture the predators.

Bobcat, Coyotes, and Dogs are the big three that I have to worry about. All my "valuable" chickens and ducks are locked up, but my geese free range because they need that extra forage. Geese are fairly safe from all the other preds.

Hi Boo! :hugs

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congrats on the Cuckoo Maran eggs!

I'm sorry for the loss of one of your pullets. Coyotes are my biggest worry here, but so far, we've been really blessed that they've not come in.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Congrats on the Cuckoo Maran eggs!

I'm sorry for the loss of one of your pullets. Coyotes are my biggest worry here, but so far, we've been really blessed that they've not come in.
Thanks. :)

We bought a live trap today that will fit anything under a Coyote. The coyote trap was 190, where this one was 75. If we have problems with coyotes, we'll just have to resort to legholds.

Here's hoping for a full trap in the morning. :) ((And not with our own dogs either! LOL))

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, everyone say hello to my newest friends! *brandishes a white styrofoam container*.

The first of the worm bins is full and ready for it's new inhabitants.

:weee