Wolf

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I talked to my neighbor, we just got back from putting up trail cams. We had a look around and spotted a big pile of scat and some paw prints. Hard to tell if it was just a dog or wolf though. I know wolfs have a huge range, our property backs up to the Shawnee national forest so yeah that's a big range.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH dang - I've never seen a herd of 40 - 70 deer. I've seen them in other parts of our little town in groups of 10 - 15. Could I hit one from a rocking chair? I'd sure try to stop rocking, lol. Nerves might get the best of me! But, "across the road" is less than 20 yards. I'd probably never try to shoot one here unless they were actually on the property. Deer carry a parasite that can infect goats - so I can't tolerate that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DANG! That's a bunch o' venison on the hoof! It's really breathtaking to me to see so many like that! I know they are considered a nuisance in many places - especially on the roads - but I still think they're beautiful!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is a quote from Young Frankenstein which is more funny than scary. :)

i agree that deer are very beautiful animals. i wouldn't mind having them around if they didn't carry ticks into the yard and sample all the plants. even the supposedly deer proof plants can be sampled to death if you get a bunch of them that don't know it yet. now everyone is getting worried about deer TB.

daffodils are one of the flowers that we've managed to have survive here - we have thousands of them.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DANG! That's a bunch o' venison on the hoof! It's really breathtaking to me to see so many like that! I know they are considered a nuisance in many places - especially on the roads - but I still think they're beautiful!

that was the view from my patio door looking out through the north hedge to the farm fields that are to the N&NE. at one time i was trying to buy that field but it didn't work out...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As beautiful as wolves are you dont want to live near them. Apex predators and they will hunt humans.

i think this is a good thing. i wish sabre toothed tigers were still around. humans are getting too complacent and lazy, might also help to keep the lbs off having to run a bit more.

i doubt an isolated wolf is going to be a likely hazard to people. but don't go out at night smelling of wabbit, beef, mutton, elk, bison or (in the winter) mice...

(wondering if anyone gets the movie reference...)

and on the more serious side of things, yes, i would rather have them around than not - there's a huge population of deer around that deserve some predator to get after them more than the coyotes seem to...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Deer population can be nicely managed by appropriate hunting.

it may cut down in numbers but it does nothing for getting rid of the sick ones like a predator will do. around here hunting does not reduce the population enough. car/deer accidents per year run about 65,000 in our state and our insurance rates reflect that.

we had a school bus tag one a few weeks ago right at the end of the driveway. i am fencing what i can to keep them out but if they want to come in via the driveway there's not much i can do because Mom won't let me run a fence along that side of the gardens.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i have a dark sense of humor, i would not really mind if my last moments at a ripe old age were in terror being jumped by a wolf or sabretoothed tiger. alas, i'm just likely going to have to be satisfied with being gummed by worms in some cemetary someplace.

I've said that if I think it's my time I'm going to go lie down in the pasture and let the pigs have me. They are the ultimate recyclers!