Wood heat, love and hate

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear ya on the dust! But I love our woodburners. Cats and dogs add to the never ending layer of dust around here. What has helped is taking really diluted fabric softener (5 parts water to 1 part softener), spraying a cloth then dusting furniture. The furniture doesn't attract the dust nearly as much.
I use cut up t-shirts, stick them to my swiffer do-dad and hit the floors. I have been using 4 drops vegetable oil in a spray bottle filled w/ water for dust mop treatment. Shake and a couple sprays on the cloth and it grabs hair and crud like crazy.
I'm wondering now how the diluted fabric softener would work....hmmmmm.
Anyway, I love the stove! We also use a wood burning furnace for part of the house, but for some reason, I like to keep looking at the flames and hot coals in the stove.
Now I have to go haul more wood into the house! Yay, lawn tractor with cart!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
No vege oils or fabric softeners in our house :sick though I can see why they help.
And I do love our stove, regardless of the mess. Those two emotions are intertwined for woodstove owners :lol:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The fabric softener I have is what my son left here after an extended visit. I just use vinegar instead of softener in the laundry, but I like to use stuff that I have for other uses. That jug of softener will still be on the shelf after I kick the bucket at the rate I'm using it. :)
AND I got to thinking after I posted it.. I bet it's more like 7-10 parts water, 1 part softener. I tend not to measure stuff like this...Anyway, it really does help keep flying ash dust off the furniture. I can't think of another alternative at the moment.

You can use any kind of oil - olive, lemon, whatever you have. Just takes 4 drops in a spray bottle of water..sure not much, but it really does do a good job when you're dusting floors. Better than a regular dust mop.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So what do you use to clean the woodstove itself Marianne? You seem to have my style of cleaning products. I try to use mostly vinegar, baking soda, borax, dawn dishwashing detergent, Washing powder, pine sol, ammonia, fels naptha soap or bleach. I buy Windex and dryer sheets and those are my my only "prepared" products.

Are any of these good for cleaning the woodstove?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
And to clean the glass, I use a magic eraser. It is a microfiber sponge. Get it wet, squeeze it out and it takes off the soot with one swipe.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Excellent! I have both of those things here already!