would you consider this

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Go with the house with more land that needs no work. The Victorian is cool looking and may have possibilities, but that place needs a ton of work to get to that point, and the lot is dinky.
With more land, and more time to spend on it(NOT repairing the house) you can have animals and one HECK of garden, BOTH of which COULD help you make the payments. ;)

The Victorian looks like a money pit to me. $0.02

Edit: I went back to look over the pictures again.........and I am going to pee in your Cheerios. The carpenter's son in me came out BIG TIME!
The outside needs painted BADLY and/or resided. I betting there is some bad wood there that will need replaced.
Pictures 5 and 6, what the heck is on those walls?? :sick
I can tell you that the GREEN bathroom has Congowall covering on the wall. Basically linoleum made to look like tile, and it is a serious PITA to remove WITHOUT tearing up whatever is underneath it. Don't even THINK of trying to cover it up. DAMHIK.
Pic # 8, WTH is that wall covering? It looks like just rough lathe with no plaster over it. :ep
#9 pink bathroom with washer in it, is that real tile or another Congowall covering??
And the best one is the kitchen..........did you notice the cabinets on the right of the window are set lower than the ones to the left? I can tell you there won't be appliances(mixers, blenders etc) setting under those cabinets.
I haven't seen any of the plumbing OR the heating systems yet......

Don't hate me. I didn't post this to be mean, just pointing out what I noticed in the pictures.....

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You've gotta be kidding? I can't believe houses are so cheap there. Incredible. I say, snap it up! It looks very cool!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
no harm done

i needed an honest opinion

very appreciated

SKR8PN said:
Go with the house with more land that needs no work. The Victorian is cool looking and may have possibilities, but that place needs a ton of work to get to that point, and the lot is dinky.
With more land, and more time to spend on it(NOT repairing the house) you can have animals and one HECK of garden, BOTH of which COULD help you make the payments. ;)

Edit: I went back to look over the pictures again.........and I am going to pee in your Cheerios. The carpenter's son in me came out BIG TIME!
The outside needs painted BADLY and/or resided. I betting there is some bad wood there that will need replaced.
I can tell you that the GREEN bathroom has Congowall covering on the wall. Basically linoleum made to look like tile, and it is a serious PITA to remove WITHOUT tearing up whatever is underneath it. Don't even THINK of trying to cover it up. DAMHIK.
Pic # 8, WTH is that wall covering? It looks like just rough lathe with no plaster over it. :ep
#9 pink bathroom with washer in it, is that real tile or another Congowall covering??
And the best one is the kitchen..........did you notice the cabinets on the right of the window are set lower than the ones to the left? I can tell you there won't be appliances(mixers, blenders etc) setting under those cabinets.

Don't hate me. I didn't post this to be mean, just pointing out what I noticed in the pictures.....

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i see what your talking about with the "padded" looking room which might be needed after sinking more than its worth in it

the surrounding houses go for around 90,000 so i would be wasting money

SKR8PN said:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think it's scary looking. :hide The thing is if you do sink another 40 k into it and some day need to sell will you even come close to making your money back?

If the market will support a 80k house on a .5 acre it might be worth it. But a good inspection would tell you if 40k is even a realistic rehab number. I think a nice kitchen could cost 1/3 that alone.

Sorry I would go for land over house any day.

g

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Victorian is a beautiful home but really does look like it needs A LOT of work. I would think it through if you want to be spending all your time and money fixing up a house or out doing what you want to do. Plus, with the economy and everything, you would be better off with land that you can have gardens and animals.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I finally got a look at the interior pics..... :hide I agree with SKR8PN on this one also....the outside looks grand, though worn, the inside looks like the Adam's family manse. :sick WAY too many bad things to fix unless you have lots of money and time and don't mind living in this dark, ugly interior until its done.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are not a carpenter and a cash cow I would RUN! It has been on the market for two years, if it was that great of a steal it would have sold by now. Just my .02

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we live in a money pit victorian half the size. run. fast. =/ love our house, and it was a good deal (not as-is either, i would never ever trust an as-is) but it is old and it is sketchy and it needs loads of work.