would you consider this

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have to agree. As much as I love it, it looks like a money pit.

However, I just hate to see these oldies get neglected and eventually get torn down though. :( If she were closer to me and if I had some major cash to fix her up, I would still consider it. :hide

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i think its been on the market for about 5 years because i saw it when it started at 65,000 then 55,000 now 40,000 and the pics on another site are dated 1-2005 so that prolly makes it worse

im trying ot talk my mom into moving the eyesore mobile home that i was going to sink about 20,000 if i pay her the money she put into it since she bought it which is only like 2,000. if i can get rid of it i wont have to dig a septic or link the well or buy a pole or get permits to do any of that

she says you cant move a 1981 mobile home cause the law doesnt allow it i tried to tell her thats crazy. if i cant move it then maybe i can tear it down.

i have found a 1996 palm harbor mobile home for 15000 in pretty good condition 4bdr 2 bath and fireplace and what i have been looking for but of course i will try to talk her down to 13000 after complaining how i have to pay upwars of 3000 to move it

sufficientforme said:
If you are not a carpenter and a cash cow I would RUN! It has been on the market for two years, if it was that great of a steal it would have sold by now. Just my .02

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I had family land I would move something onto it in a heartbeat! It is a great way to get started to a more financially secure future and not have to break the bank to get there. You can fix up a mobile just as well as you can a stick built house.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Go with the house with more land that needs no work. The Victorian is cool looking and may have possibilities, but that place needs a ton of work to get to that point, and the lot is dinky.
With more land, and more time to spend on it(NOT repairing the house) you can have animals and one HECK of garden, BOTH of which COULD help you make the payments. ;)

The Victorian looks like a money pit to me. $0.02
X2.

The victorian is cute and all, but if you can't get all that work done you will probably be very unhappy real soon.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Run EB RUN!!!!!

I know, I know, I love old houses too. All that history!!! And it looked like an old coouple lived there, by looking at the furniture. And it is a beaut!

But........ 1st, it was built in 1897. Thre are some scary visible things in the pics, as in what is covering the walls, carpeting, flooring kitchen cabinets, etc.

then there are all the not visible things you need to consider, with a home that is 'as is'. plumbing, electrical, structural, roof (leaks, water damage/rot), siding, insulation, etc etc etc..........

i know the romanticism of owning a victorian--I get it, but unless you have an unending cashflow, and are a jack of all trades, you serioulsly need to look at something more maintenance free.

Where is my adding machine.... $+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$+$=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ = money pit, sorry.

Get a mobile home and put it on your land. If you don't like the one that's there, you can get a newer one for about $20-30,000 and get alot in scrap metal from the one that is already there.

I truly do hope someone who can restore it properly, and has oodles and oodles of money to do it, van restore it to its previous grandeur. It would be a pity for it to be demolished.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

BlueMountain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We bought this house, an 1892 Queen Anne, 13 years ago. It was derilect. First thing was to get it jacked up and new sills and floor joists added. We hired a contractor to do that. Second was new roof, lots of rotted decking too. We did most of that ourselves. The rest of the work I have mostly done since DH was busy working six days a week to pay the mortgage off in ten years (we did too, this mess is all ours). He is an electrician so that helped, he has done all new wiring and plumbing as we go but, I have had to do carpentry, masonry, drywalling, flooring, etc. since we are too poor for hiring out the work and it has taken a serious toll on my body. The house is still not finished but, getting close. Our lot is half an acre and I have no trouble producing good food supplies in my gardens and have chickens. A railroad track runs about 100 feet from the west side of the house but thank goodness we only get a couple of trains a day. I have to say I love this house, I love living in this kind of history (it is on the Mississippi State Historic Register, Helen Keller spent the night here when she lectured at Blue Mountain College next door), and I cannot see myself ever leaving BUT, if I knew 13 years ago what I know now and had it to do all over again, I probably would have run screaming from taking it on. Renovating a house over a century old is not for the faint of heart or someone who does not have minimale carpentry skills unless you have a lot of money to hire the work out. Also, don't expect any insulation in the walls unless it was added during a prior renovation and don't count on those fireplaces being usable, we have six but cannot burn wood in them since the chimney was too unstable and we had to take it down below the roof to keep it from caving in. I would advise that you run, not walk away and find something more livable.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
oh i already have 10 acres

its just talking my mom into letting me move the eyesore that sits there now so i can replace it with one that is 15 years newer that im hoping no one buys in the next month

Wildsky said:
Here you go:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N-Hwy-83-North-Platte-NE-69101/2130911799_zpid/

You'll be near me, on 90 acres, but you'd have to build the house... :lol:
Maybe look into putting up a yurt? Or even living in an RV while you build a straw bale or cob dwelling?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BlueMountain said:
We bought this house, an 1892 Queen Anne, 13 years ago. It was derilect. First thing was to get it jacked up and new sills and floor joists added. We hired a contractor to do that. Second was new roof, lots of rotted decking too. We did most of that ourselves. The rest of the work I have mostly done since DH was busy working six days a week to pay the mortgage off in ten years (we did too, this mess is all ours). He is an electrician so that helped, he has done all new wiring and plumbing as we go but, I have had to do carpentry, masonry, drywalling, flooring, etc. since we are too poor for hiring out the work and it has taken a serious toll on my body. The house is still not finished but, getting close. Our lot is half an acre and I have no trouble producing good food supplies in my gardens and have chickens. A railroad track runs about 100 feet from the west side of the house but thank goodness we only get a couple of trains a day. I have to say I love this house, I love living in this kind of history (it is on the Mississippi State Historic Register, Helen Keller spent the night here when she lectured at Blue Mountain College next door), and I cannot see myself ever leaving BUT, if I knew 13 years ago what I know now and had it to do all over again, I probably would have run screaming from taking it on. Renovating a house over a century old is not for the faint of heart or someone who does not have minimale carpentry skills unless you have a lot of money to hire the work out. Also, don't expect any insulation in the walls unless it was added during a prior renovation and don't count on those fireplaces being usable, we have six but cannot burn wood in them since the chimney was too unstable and we had to take it down below the roof to keep it from caving in. I would advise that you run, not walk away and find something more livable.
Have to agree with Bluemountain... our house is a TINY 1883 rooming house, it was also derelict when we moved in... fixing the wiring and the plumbing cost us more than 10K for a 900 square foot house... we didn't have enough money to re-insulate and the heating bills were upwards of $800/month the first winter (it regularly goes to -34 here). We had two woodstoves, neither were usable... flooring was asbestos, trim was painted with lead... we paid $25K for our house on one acre, with 5 acres of woodlot not attached to this property... by the time it is completely done we will have spent almost $70K on renos for a 900 square foot house (because a portion has to be torn down and rebuilt)

I have done most of the other work myself, removing plaster and lathe, drywall, windows, doors, etc... if you aren't handy it could cost WAY WAY WAY more than $40K to fix that house up by paying people to do it.

Here's a great blog from a guy that fixed up his own victorian house:
http://www.ourvictorianhouse.com/

You'd be way better off building something on your own 10 acres than buying a money pit :)

(Although I LOVE victorian houses, and it's always been my dream to fix one up, I know realistically it's not possible with my finances :) )