Would your extended family want to mooch off you?

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My brother and SIL have plans to come up to our farm wtshtf, and my brother would be an asset... his wife would have to really change stuff around. she gets weekly manicures... She's a nice girl, but she isn't really a SS asset...

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Well I would say allot of my friends and family would head our direction just because I do raise my own food to a certain extent and have chickens and rabbits and a place to hunt & fish. I can see different ones having different skills to help out BUT I am sure it would be a major(circus) ordeal and with me as the ring leader they would eventually put up or shut up as I will NOT support true moochers. The lot of them like to "make fun" of me and my gardening, canning, rabbits, chickens, ect, but I wouldn't refuse anyone that would contribute as we all have to work together to make it through. BUT that being said I can and will cut my losses one way or another when and if necessary. I KNOW hubby would be horrified but you know what most of it would be his family because mine wouldnt be able to get to us and his are pretty much all within 2 miles.

All in alll

MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!! :smack

allthough a few years ago I would not have been able to support myself let alone anyone else so there is hope for anyone!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need to up security. A moocher would at least show up in the light of day and perhaps you could get them to split firelogs or de-weed the garden while you stir in the pot, but I'm more afraid of a 2am moocher and my yard not completely fenced in. I don't have the luxury of living 2 miles from my nearest neighbor.
I know I would be expected to help this one or that one, but my way is more to help them get themself established rather than help themselves to my stores. But my best friend told me she was talking to her family once and the subject was if TSHTF and she said,"I tell you what; Rhoda will make it." and she went on to say that she would hang with me and see what I needed help with and her son came up with,"I know where she lives and I can just show up in the middle of the night and get a chicken if I'm hungry enough." And thats the truth. We are all mostly better off than our neighbors as far as being prepared for emergencies, but the unscrupulous will just come over when we not looking and rob us out of house and home.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The kids all know that they better be heading to our house if SH. They all would bring a unique set of skills, so heck ya, I want them here - hunting, trapping, medical, electrical engineering, mechanical - not a lazy one in the bunch....except the one that's marrying into the family....I don't know, maybe the 'princess' would come around. She's a nurse.

My family? They're 500 miles away. Hubby's family? Closest ones are 60 miles, but we see them only once every 5 years, maybe. They probably wouldn't even think about coming here.

I have two guns and two protective, big dogs. But if someone needs to eat and is willing to work for it, heck ya, I'd add a potato to the pot.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH's family, what is left, lives too far away! ;) I only have a very old aunt left that probably will be gone soon.
However, My kids and their families and us are close and all know to prep as best they can for hard times. My oldest has M.S. so would come back here. ( he will soon anyway) We all have skills of some type and those that don't have many can still do many things to help out. All in all the family part will do fine... it's the "others" I worry about! But perhaps we can barter with some and may have to turn some away. You never know until the time comes!

Oberhaslikid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh yeah I hear that one too .I will just come and stay with you!
Weellllll they wouldnt be staying long I can hear it now.

You expect me to eat this?
What is IT? Eeww theres carrots in the spaghetti sauce!!!!
Do you have a nail file I broke a nail?
Carry water what does that mean?
Uhhh wheres the chips?
Wheres the closest Motel?
LOL yeah right.