WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Remember these rations were for the masses and MOST were the city folk. Country Bumkins often had plenty to eat! Besides they often had no way to get to town for the rations. I was surprised at the dozen of dried eggs and that there was no grains or dried beans. Any thoughts?

Of course, during wartime, if you were near the troops you may have had supplies taken. They'd eat a chicken, then no eggs. My grandparents lived so far in the holler they'd never have found them, had the actual fighting been in the USA. :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know about USA egg rationing, but in Britain, all eggs, milk, etc went to the military. If you had milk that soured before it was collected, you could make cottage cheese from it, otherwise, the military needed it. But it was rare that they let you keep the critter. The grain that fed the one critter would feed a lot of people. They wanted country folk to use their fields to grow people food, not critter food.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uh, almost vegetarian here. No sane eco friendly person is trying to take away your cows. The 'beef' is with the big industries who ignore sustainable land practices.