WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
All of these posts just make me miss my grandparents more. They sacrificed so much, and looking back, what seemed like silly splurges were actually huge for them

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have spent the last 2 years typing my Dad's Autobiography. He will be 94 this summer. So, he was born in the middle of the great depression. He grew up on a farm in Dover Foxcroft Maine. While he mentions many other historical events of that time, I don't recall much mention of the great depression. So, my guess is: it made little impact on folks in rural Maine. One mention he did make: Because of the tax burden at that time, the family had difficulty maintaining 2 farmsteads that were parcels from the Homestead Act.

Everything Mini said. I am doing what I am doing for the very reason that I don't want to get caught in a bind when the economy goes south. I can't speak to this issue without bringing my faith into it. So, if you don't want to hear what I have to say, stop reading right now. I believe that what we are seeing in current events is directly tied to the prophecies pertaining to the end times. I am of the persuasion that Jesus will return and call His Church (his people) home before the great tribulation unfolds. However, I can't be certain of that b/c scripture is not completely black and white about the topic. No matter how this all plays out, I am secure in my faith that Jesus has me covered. But, time marches on, and end time prophecies continue to unfold. So, I plan to be able to meet my dietary needs as much as possible from my own land. If persecution of Christians makes it impossible for us to buy and sell, I will be able to put food on the table. If we are called home before that persecution begins (AND, IT WILL HAPPEN), I will leave behind a well stocked home, garden, orchard, flock of chickens to help anyone who is left. Got Jesus?

Last edited:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gd7.jpg

This almost seems too modern to be considered a Depression era or Wartime recipe.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The British struggled during WWII. One fresh egg a week.

Rations.jpg

WW2 Rations 1940: per one person (adult)

Butter: 50g (2oz)
Bacon or ham: 100g (4oz)
Margarine: 100g (4oz)
Cooking fat/lard: 100g (4oz)
Sugar: 225g (8oz).
Meat: To the value of 1/2d and sometimes 1/10d – about 1lb (450g) to 12ozs (350g)
Milk: 3 pints (1800ml) occasionally dropping to 2 pints (1200ml).
Cheese: 2oz (50g) rising to 8oz (225g)
Eggs: 1 fresh egg a week.
Tea: 50g (2oz).
Jam: 450g (1lb) every two months.
Dried eggs: 1 packet (12 eggs) every four weeks.
Sweets & Chocolate: 350g (12oz) every four weeks

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_3800.jpg

"The Hooverville Stew was a simple dish that took advantage of macaroni, canned tomatoes, and hot dogs. Most people don't think of hot dogs when they think of the Great Depression, but it was one of the most available and cheapest forms at the time. Here's the recipe:

1 box of macaroni
1 or 2 cans of whole tomatoes, spanish style (depending on size of cans and number of people to be served)
1 package of hotdogs
1 can of corn or beans (such as chick peas)

Boil macaroni for five minutes until noodles become flexible. At the same time, slice the hot dogs into very thin coins about a half an inch thick. Pop open the tomato cans and dump them in to a large pot. Add the hot dog bits to the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer; break up the tomato chunks as the heat increases.

Drain the macaroni when it is barely Al Dente. Reserve the cooking water to add to the pot, if needed. Add the macaroni, and continue simmering until all of the ingredients are thoroughly heated and the hot dogs are cooked. If you have onions or other spices to add, combine them in to the pot at this point.

Traditionalists always cooked the macaroni to be somewhat overcooked so that it could be served again at a later date and it would 'keep' better.

(Flexible noodles? hahahaha)

Last edited:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The Oslo Meal (Britain)

theoslomeal.jpg

"The Oslo Meal was originally given as an EXPERIMENT to school children during WWII. This very nutritious but basic quick meal vastly improved the development and the health of the nations children. Many families began using it as a main meal on occasions because of it’s simplicity and this was very appealing to busy housewives..

it vastly improved the development and health of the nations children..

The Oslo Meal
  • 2 slices of wholewheat bread spread with a little margarine or butter
  • small block of cheese grated and placed over salad if wished
  • fresh lettuce leaves
  • other salad items like carrot, cucumber or tomato
  • glass of cold milk
Back then they would have used wholemeal bread aka National Loaf.

Credit: The 1940's Experiment
https://the1940sexperiment.com/2009/08/27/the-oslo-meal/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Potato floddies
  • 2 large potatoes, scrubbed with skins on
  • a little flour
  • salt & pepper
  • pinch of mixed herbs
  • butter, margarine or dripping for frying
Method
1. Grate your scrubbed potatoes into a large bowl (coarse)

2. Add in salt and pepper and herbs

3. Sprinkle in flour and stir, keep adding until a batter begins to form and starts to bind together the grated potato

4. Non-stick pans work best, place fat into pan and heat on medium/hot

5. Drop in a large spoonful of the floddie mix and press down to flatten out

6. Fry until browned on one side (a few minutes or so) and turn. Fry the other side

7. Remove from heat. Eat!!!

Latest posts