WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My husband, Bill, saw the turnover pic and said he'd like to have that tonight as well!
Do you use fresh fruit or pie filling? I used to make them with pie filling back in the day. I don't remember ever using fresh fruit
The cooks around here use fresh fruit that is slightly cooked until tender with a little sugar. That's how I like them. You can also use the canned fruit or pie filling...

Mom used to make cream cheese, jam filled croissant turnovers too. They were amazing.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The cooks around here use fresh fruit that is slightly cooked until tender with a little sugar. That's how I like them. You can also use the canned fruit or pie filling...

Mom used to make cream cheese, jam filled croissant turnovers too. They were amazing.
Yum. As a kid, I remember having fresh huckleberry fried pies or turnovers when we went camping. I usually didn't have too many huckleberries in my bowl when we were picking as I kept eating them.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ONE-EGG VICTORY CAKE, from the Royal Baking Powder cookbook:

1/3 cup shortening

2/3 cup sugar

1 egg, well beaten

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup light corn syrup

1 cup milk

2 cups cake flower

2 1/2 teaspoons Royal Baking Powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream shortening well; add sugar slowly, beating in well. Add beaten egg and vanilla; beat until well blended. Blend syrup and milk. Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with liquid to first mixture. Bake in greased square pan (8 x 8 x 2 inches) in moderate oven at 350°F. about 1 hour or in 2 greased eight-inch layer cake pans at the same temperature about 30 minutes. Makes 1 eight-inch or 1 two-layer cake.

Note: Honey may be substituted for light corn syrup.

Note: How are we going to find "cake flower"? hahahaahah
http://time.com/4791207/victory-cake-economy-loaf-world-war-ii-recipes/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ECONOMY LOAF, from the Modern Hostess Cookbook:

6 tablespoons vitaminized margarine

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

1 cup cooked fresh or canned peas

1 cup mashed potatoes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

2 tablespoons flour

1/2 cup milk

2 hard-cooked eggs

1 can condensed tomato soup

Additional seasonings

Melt 2 tablespoons of the margarine, add crumbs, brown slightly, stirring constantly. Sprinkle half the crumbs on the bottom and sides of a well greased oblong loaf pan (approximately 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 inches). Mash peas through a sieve, add mashed potatoes, remaining crumbs and seasonings. Make white sauce by melting 2 tablespoons of the margarine, adding flour, then the milk — cooking until smooth and thickened. Add white sauce to potato mixture, blend together thoroughly. Place half of this mixture in crumb lined loaf pan. Top with slices of hard-cooked egg; add remaining potato mixture. Bake in moderate oven (350°F) 25 minutes or until set. Unmold, garnish with additional egg slices, or with broiled bacon, if desired. Serve with tomato sauce made by heating the soup with the remaining 2 tablespoons margarine, adding a pinch of herbs and a little Worchestershire or A-1 Sauce, to taste.

Note: Vitaminized margarine? Egads.
http://time.com/4791207/victory-cake-economy-loaf-world-war-ii-recipes/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mock-Sausage-300x74.png

https://www.tptoriginals.org/10-weird-wartime-recipes-and-trends/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Broiled-Grapefruit-300x66.png

Ha! I made this in 8th or 9th grade Home Ec, maybe 1966?
To 'prepare grapefruit halves', you're supposed to loosen each section of grapefuit for your guests or family.
I thought it was a major waste of time to make, then and now.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cottage-Cheese-300x89.png

I just ate some in a bowl with some fruit. What would you mix in it for a sandwich? And how would you make cottage cheese balls?