WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
wasn’t exactly horrible but wasn’t exactly nice either. However, it did the trick."

That sure won't get you a job as a food reporter :lol:

I am certain, given the limits of food available, that some truly strange combos came about. The butter & tea OR coffee would be the hard part for me in that list. The old farmers who had big gardens & extras canned, did ok -- all things considered.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That sure won't get you a job as a food reporter :lol:

:yuckyuck

I am certain, given the limits of food available, that some truly strange combos came about. The butter & tea OR coffee would be the hard part for me in that list. The old farmers who had big gardens & extras canned, did ok -- all things considered.

That's right. But the British farmers also had to plant what the Minister of Agriculture told them to plant or risk losing their farms. They didn't always give the best decision since they didn't know the soil condition, etc. Most of the rural folks also had to take on extra people from the cities, land girls, etc. But I'm sure they still ate better.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's right. But the British farmers also had to plant what the Minister of Agriculture told them to plant or risk losing their farms. They didn't always give the best decision since they didn't know the soil condition, etc. Most of the rural folks also had to take on extra people from the cities, land girls, etc. But I'm sure they still ate better.

What are "Land Girls"? Sound like a bunch of girls, I would like, down to earth.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
potato_piglets.jpg

I cracked up laughing when I saw this picture.
"This fun and tasty recipe for potato piglets feeds six people but only uses six potatoes and six sausages.

When served with a seasonal salad, this easy and nutritious meal will delight the children and provide a thrifty summertime meal using British or home-grown potatoes. The recipe originates from a Ministry of Food leaflet from WWII featuring Potato Pete."

• 6 medium fluffy potatoes such as Maris Piper or King Edward
• 6 skinned sausages
• Mixed salad leaves, radishes, tomatoes and cucumber to serve

Method:
1. Cut a core out of the centre of each potato and stuff the sausage meat in its place.

2. Bake in the oven at 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6 for about 1 hour.

3. When the potatoes are cooked remove from the oven and serve with salad.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dutch Sauce

dutchsauce4.jpg

The 'fish stock' caught my eye.

"Curious as to what (during rationing in WW2) people slathered their spuds in, I delved into ‘Feeding the Nation’ by Marguerite Patten OBE. Heinz Salad Cream became a wartime favourite like any convenience food was often in limited supply so many of the ration book recipes called for making homemade dressings which tried to replicate salad cream or mayonnaise.

Quite frankly they were all quite bland but palatable nevertheless especially if a spoonful of salad cream was added to the mixture to give it a boost.

I used the below recipe for ‘Dutch Sauce’, I halved the quantities and still made enough sauce for a large potato salad for 3 or 4. I also added in a spoonful of salad cream afterwards and despite my best efforts at spicing it up in a way I thought might be authentic, it was still rather bland. The chopped spring onions, chopped chives sprinkled over the top and extra salt and pepper helped."

https://the1940sexperiment.com

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Green Mint Sauce
1/4 lb chopped mint (I used 100 g)
3/4 pt vinegar (I used 100 ml apple cider vinegar and 100 ml malt vinegar)
1/2 lb sugar (I used 100 g)

Method
Boil vinegar and and pour it over the sugar in a saucepan and stir until dissolved
When cooled add chopped mint and stir
Add to clean jar, will keep in fridge for several months.

The author said it was a sweet, minty sauce with a hint of apple. She used it on vegetables.

greenmintsauce1.jpg

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
glorybuns1940.jpg

Glory Buns
  • 12 oz of wholewheat flour (or white)
  • 2 oz margarine
  • 2 oz sultanas/currants/raisins (optional)
  • 2 oz sugar
  • 8 fl oz warm water
  • 3 teaspoons of quick rise dried yeast
  • 1 teaspoon dried cinnamon powder
  • pinch salt
To glaze:

• 3 tablespoons water
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
Method
Place all the dried ingredients in a bowl (apart from dried fruit) and stir
Rub in the margarine
Mix in the dried fruit
Add in the warm water
Knead well (use extra flour if mixture is too sticky)
Divide dough into 12 balls
Place on greased deep sided tray (I like to use the 8 x 8 inch foil trays and place 4 balls in each)
Cover with plastic film or plastic bag
Leave to rise somewhere warm for an hour or so
When risen place in oven at 180 C for 15 minutes or so until golden brown
When cooked remove from oven onto a wire rack to cool
When cool prepare glaze by heating the water and sugar together until dissolved
Using a pastry brush apply the glaze generously

https://the1940sexperiment.com/2009/11/12/glory-buns/