WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1940svegetableandoatmealgoulashtext.jpg

Vegetable and Oatmeal Goulash
  • 1 lb of mixed root vegetables ( I used 1 large potato, 2 parsnips, 2 large carrots)
  • knob of dripping (I used a vegan shortening)
  • 2 oz of coarse oatmeal (porridge oats will do)
  • 1 tsp of meat extract (I used Marmite)
  • 1 pt of vegetable stock
  • mixed herbs, salt and pepper
Method
  1. Prepare and dice the vegetables
  2. Fry in dripping until slightly cooked
  3. Add oatmeal and keep stirring until fat is absorbed
  4. Cover with vegetable stock until covered and simmer until vegetables are soft and mixture is real thick (about 45 mins)
  5. Mix in meat extract when cooking
  6. Mix in herbs, salt and pepper to taste when cooking
https://the1940sexperiment.com/2012/01/14/vegetable-and-oatmeal-goulash/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1940stoadinhole2.jpg

Toad in a Hole. I thought that was an egg fried in a piece of bread with a hole cut out.

Toad in the Hole
  • 1 oz of margarine/butter or dripping
  • 1 lb sausages
  • 5 oz plain flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried egg powder
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 pint of milk or milk and water
Method
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 C (400 F) or Gas Mark 6.
  2. Put the cooking fat into a Yorkshire pudding tin and place in oven for 5 minutes, add the sausages and toss in fat and cook for a further 5 minutes or so.
  3. Raise the temp to 220 C (425 F) or Gas Mark 7
  4. Blend the ingredients for the batter together (dry ingredients first and then slowly mix in the water/milk)
  5. Pour the batter over the piping hot sausages and bake for 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown
  6. Remove and serve
https://the1940sexperiment.com/2013/08/11/toad-in-the-hole-recipe-no-114/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PotatoPete-May01-05-Scotch-590.jpg

Scotch Hotpot

Ingredients:
• 450g peeled smooth potatoes such as Desiree
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 600g shin of beef, cut into 2cm pieces, excess fat removed
• 1 tbsp rosemary leaves, chopped
• 225g tomatoes
• 2 apples, peeled
• 2 onions
• 1 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
• Around 300ml fresh good quality beef stock
• Pepper to taste

Method:

1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan then dip the beef into well-seasoned flour. Fry in the frying pan until golden brown all over then set to one side.

2. Slice the apple, onion, potatoes and tomatoes.

3. Arrange a layer of sliced potatoes in the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover with beef then with the mixed vegetable and apple slices then sprinkle with a little rosemary.

4. Repeat layers, finishing with potato.

5. Pour over the stock then cover with a lid and bake in a preheated oven at 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 for 2 ½ hrs and serve with green vegetables.

https://lady.co.uk/recipes-wartime-favourites-potato-pete

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had to google grams to ounces - 600 grams = 21 oz.
Seems like a lot of meat during rationing days. Maybe because it's 'shin of beef'?

Oh! Back at the top of the page, the recipes have been 'given a modern makeover'. Still looks really good.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PB0774821.jpg

This is what our family called Toad in a Hole. Just an egg in a piece of buttered bread cooked on a griddle. WW2 British called it Mock Fried Egg or Egg in a Nest. It used reconstituted egg powder and if you were lucky to still have some, you fried it in some bacon grease.
  • 1 egg (fresh shell egg or reconstituted dried egg)
  • 2 slices wheatmeal bread
  • salt and pepper
  • dripping
Step 1 Beat the egg. Cut holes from the centre of each slice of bread with small scone cutter.
Step 2 Dip the slices quickly into water and then fry on one side (in dripping if you have any available) until golden brown.
Step 3 Turn on to the other side, pour half the egg into the hole in each slice of bread, cook till the bread is brown on the underneath side.
Step 4 The bread cut from the centres can be fried and served with the slices. Serve straight away with salt and pepper to season and some HP or Daddies sauce or brown Chop sauce.

https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2...-egg-in-a-nest-ww2-mock-fried-egg-recipe.html

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welsh-eggs2.gif

My mother would make this once in a while when I was a kid. I thought the egg whites almost had the texture of rubber. I haven't thought about it since then. Ha!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
de032.jpg

"You can use this custard recipe in a great variety of ways. It's excellent for a trifle, or for a fool made with whatever fruit is available." FOOL? I had to google this. Found this bit at Epicurious.

"At the mention of this British dessert, my mind races through the various references to fools, from the fool that accompanied King Lear on his journey across the howling heath, to the modern question "What kind of fool are you?" But the name of this delicate dessert actually comes from the French word fouler, meaning to press or crush, referring to the crushed fruits that are gently folded into thick cream. It is this simplicity that makes the dish shine. And as the British fool, I get to choose the berries and sing "here we go round the mulberry bush" as I dish up!"

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/great-british-fool-51198790

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We%2527ll+Meet+Again.jpg

Dropped Scones recipes from this cookbook:

Drop Scones aka Scottish Pancakes

Sift 4 oz. plain flour with 2 level teaspoons of baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add 1 tbsp dried egg powder then beat in 1 pint milk and 2 tbsp water.

Grease and heat a heavy frying pan, electric solid hotplate or griddle. To test if the right heat, drop on a teaspoon of batter, this should turn a golden brown on the bottom in 1 minute. Put the mixture in tablespoons on to the plate and leave until the top surface is covered with bubbles then turn and cook on the second side. The scones are cooked when quite firm.

Potato Drop Scones

Rub 2 oz mashed potato into 4 oz flour and ¼ teaspoon salt. Make into a stiff batter with half a beaten egg and ¼ pint milk. Allow to stand for a time. Sift in the small teaspoon of cream of tartar and a small level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and ½ oz sugar just before cooking. Cook in spoonfuls – as for Drop Scones – on a greased griddle or in a heavy frying pan. Serve with a little hot jam.

Coffee Potato Scones

Sift 6 oz plain flour, 2 level teaspoon baking powder and ½ tsp salt into a basin. Mix thoroughly with 4 oz mashed potato. Rub in 2 oz fat with the tips of the fingers. Blend to a soft dough with ½ teacup strong, milky, sweetened coffee. Roll out to ½ inch thickness on a floured board and cut into rounds. Glaze the tips with a little milk. Bake on greased baking sheets in a hot over for 15 minutes.

https://thechildrenswar.blogspot.com/2011/03/well-eat-again-collection-of-recipes.html