wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wasn't able to get set up for meat birds this summer, but I put in an order for chicks this fall. We lost 3 hens this summer and the rest are really slowing down on the laying. So, I got 6 female layer chicks and 4 Cornish Cross

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last year my brother saved some milkweed seed for me and I planted it in WI. This year, I'll have to get more, and plant it down here in Alabama. I don't think I've seen a monarch yet this year!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It may be time to retire those older hens to freezer camp as well?

Now that you mention it, I didn't see many butterflies at all here and it's surprising with the amount of flowers absolutely everywhere. And if there is any crop spraying going on that may harm them, I haven't seen it :hu

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I still have 3 of my 4 broilers from September :hide It seems everytime I see an opening to go out and get them butchered, DHs find something else that needs to be done in town. I am a wimp and refuse to butcher when it is too cold out, which is below 20 degrees. We have had a pretty cold winter, it was in the negatives last week. The pellet stove in the un-insulated garage cannot warm it up enough and my hands get too cold. Looks like Saturday is the big day. I butchered one about a month ago and she weighed about 15 pounds. I got over 3 pounds of boneless skinless breast meat off of her. The other three are still very mobile and one is even laying eggs, but they are starting to loose their glossy feathers and starting to have walking issues - just stumbles, but not running and flapping for treats anymore.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Butchering sucks, period. And it's no fun when it's freezing! If they can hang on until it's a bit warmer…

Glad to see you back here btw :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It was 47 degrees yesterday, 46 degrees F right now. Its not supposed to be quite as warm on Saturday, but still above 32. Dh is going Ice Fishing on Sat. with some friends, so I have the day to myself. Good time to do the deed without him standing there watching me butcher.
I just got a call from the Health center, I had a Mammogram yesterday, they need me to come in on Monday and have some more shots taken. Now I'm in a funk, going to be a long weekend until I can find out what is going on. My mom died of breast cancer when I was 10, my sister had it a couple of years ago. she is now cancer free. Wish me luck, prayers are accepted.