wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Old layers make the best canned chicken and broth. The broth is rich and yellow, the meat is great to have, I make chicken salad, it's so easy!

When you butcher the CCX, are you going to part them out or freeze whole chickens? I parted mine out, then simmered the bones for more broth. It is a pale color, but still tastes good.

I have one of these, you need one too. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Never-Dreamed-Chicken-T-Shirt/dp/B0784V3TJ7

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the T-Shirt!

I will part out most of the meat birds. The dark meat and old layers will be canned for soups, stews, casseroles, enchiladas, etc. We prefer the boneless skinless chicken breast for quick suppers. there will be a couple of whole birds going into the freezer, I like roast chicken for Sunday supper once in a while.
I use the carcasses to make broth. I like to add some veggies to it to give it a little depth of flavor. I hope to get a bunch of broth canned this year, last couple of times it was not enough to bother canning so I kept It in the freezer.
Last chicken I butchered had a ton of fat, I rendered it down and kept it in the fridge for cooking with, it was fabulous.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, lost one of the meaties yesterday. I went out to give them feed and it was on its back with its feet stick straight up in the air- stiff as a board. I wonder if it got knocked over at the feeder and trampled.
I need to get the tractor made for them, they are growing too fast and getting too big to stay in the brooder for much longer.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the upside down birdie. :( I lost several of the ones I raised. I also was waaaay behind on getting their coop made. LOL

Do you make broth from the feet? I just cleared out a bunch of gallon bags of feet from the freezer and made some lovely broth. Got one bag left, a friend is coming over Monday to learn how to make chicken feet broth, so that last bag is for her.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No, I don't do anything with the feet. DH asked the other day about doing something with the feet because someone at work was asking if we used them. I offered to let DH collect them and take them in but he declined. I was shopping the other day and they had a bunch of packages of chicken feet in the frozen meat section and I kinda got weird-ed out. First time I have ever seen them in a store. They never bothered my before, but I just was not expecting to see them laying there I guess.
You have to peel them, right?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, scald for about 15 seconds, peel while hot, cut off toenails, simmer for several hours and can broth.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I have a problem with the toenails part - not food.
Put some pretty nail polish on them. haha if you did that to a live chicken, all the others would peck her toes off. Chickens are such peckers. ;)