wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad the surgery apparently went well! And very glad you were able to save your dog; we lost two of our dogs years ago when they went out onto the ice. No one was home and they were able to climb over the fence because of all the snow- no one was there when they fell through. I still grieve them.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pathology came back and they got it all. Clear margins around the tissue that they removed. I have an appointment next week to see the cancer doctor (oncologist) and the doctor for the radiation. Everything seems to be healing good.

Starting to get antsy about getting going on the garden and orchard. It looks like we lost the 4 walnuts we planted last year. Rodents chewed them up this past winter pretty bad. I am going to have DH cut down a couple of oak trees in the orchard area. Maybe we will wait until next summer to cut them down, and order some mushroom spore so i can use the tree trunks.

DH started to dig the foundation for my little greenhouse that i bought last summer. Now that the weight limits are off the roads, we can order some gravel for projects. Foundation for the greenhouse as well as a new field entrance that we hope to put in.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear the surgeries went well. My husband has been going through chemo, and I can fully understand you not wanting to have to go through that!
I'm also glad to hear you were able to save your dog. I hope the lesson was learned the first time, and there won't be a second time...

Gardening and orchard care is a great new thing to think about. It keeps me sane sometimes. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The oncologist wanted to do chemo - we decided to have the tumor tested and the score came back low enough that chemo is not necessary, yay! I have had 6 radiation treatments, only 16 left to go. This week I burned about an hour of sick leave at work for appointments. UGG! The place i work only builds 2 weeks of PTO a year, and i have only worked there for 2 years. The two surgeries really too a bite out of my PTO. No vacations for a while I guess.

Been busy trying to get the garden in. The soil seems so fine and sandy, i am trying to figure out a way to add organic material this year. My two year old compost is going to be used as mulch around the plants. Maybe that will help hold the water in some.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our soil is fine white sand, known locally as sugar sand. We use compost, old hay, wood chips from the power line cleaning crews and cardboard. This is our 4th garden and it is much better than when we reclaimed it from green briars, brush and weeds.

That sucks about time off. Companies have no heart. I almost lost my job when my son was a baby. If he was sick I had to take him to the doctor, take time off and I got in trouble. I struck a deal with my foreman to come in on night shift so I wouldn’t be counted absent. Then doubled back the next morning.

That is good news about the no chemo. Hang in there, it will get better and you will beat this.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, had my last radiation treatment on Friday. I am glad to be done, fingers crossed that it all is gone. I have radiation burns and am having some trouble sleeping. Not getting much done around the house, but it is going to get better. They say it may get worse for a little while before it gets better. The radiatin keeps working even after the last treatment.

I am going to go out and plant some more peas, a row of beans, and a row of beets. I am hoping I like beets. A friend makes pickled beets that are really good, so I am going to contact her for the recipe if any grow. I did get onions and garlic planted, they are growing nicely. And a couple rows of tomatoes. Two cherry, one grape, 6 beefsteak/slicers and 9 roma's. 18 tomato plants in total. and 6 peppers. I can't eat bell peppers, but feel bad that DH doesn't get to have peppers with his fajitas. I can give peppers to family and friends. Just doesn't seem right to grow tomatoes and not have pepper plants next to them. Some of those pepper plants are chili peppers and I have a better tolerance for chili peppers over the bell peppers.

Latest posts