wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Missed the apple crop this year. Went out to pick and they are rotting on the tree. I will need to rake the dropped apples up and dump them on the compost pile in the field.
Bought a box of peaches, so i will be canning peaches the next few days. Slices and Peach Comfort. Need to go into the basement and bring up a bunch of jelly jars for the peach sauce.
Ugh! I hate going down into the basement, lol! The stairs are really steep and narrow; its hard for this old, fat body to navigate the stairs carrying anything.
I really need to get weight loss going.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I could build new stairs - there just isn't any room to. This old house has so many oddities, it just makes me shake my head. There are water pipes coming out of the basement wall right above a step and have a 90 degree bend to go under the staircase.
They were made to move the well out of the well pit in the garage, so it was drilled between the garage and the calf shed - which puts the garage between the well and the house. Somehow, the water pipes go from the outside well to the well pit in the garage and then into the basement of the house where the pressure tank is. It splits to feed the house and go back out to the well pit to connect to the old pipe for the barn and outdoor fonts. But the barn has been disconnected completely from the well, so no water but the fonts work. Where the barn disconnect happens, I don't have a clue.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Sounds like a challenge. It can be difficult, living in an older house. Sure makes you wonder, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??
Oh geesh, it not just old homes. The dude that built my previous home in the late 90's. Didn't even put a wax ring under one of the commodes. That was the least of his issues in that house

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like a challenge. It can be difficult, living in an older house. Sure makes you wonder, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??

from my experience that is best summarized as "We thought this at first, built it, and then added on... and then Aunt Ester moved in the back porch so we enclosed that, then she passed away so we moved a bunch of stuff back there and added on off to the side and ..."

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh geesh, it not just old homes. The dude that built my previous home in the late 90's. Didn't even put a wax ring under one of the commodes. That was the least of his issues in that house

it's not much fun having to replace one of those, but the sewer gas leaking into the house can be horrible and also dangerous.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Oh, he was a special kind of stupid, wasn't he?
Um, he was notorious for doing things on the cheap, both materials and labor used.

He owned a big old building downtown (used to be an opera house). Had workers on the roof to fix a leak. All we know for certain there was some sort of petroleum based sealant and a torch of some kind (temps in the 20s). Building roof caught fire, all the buildings in the block burnt down

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I finally tried the Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate recipe from the yellow Ball Book of Canning that I have wanted to try for 6 years. Only tweaked it a little bit - subbed in Cherries for the Strawberries and lime juice for the lemon juice.
I love Cherry Limeade! This turned out fabulous! I will make a full batch and can it up for the pantry. Directions say 50/50 concentrate and soda, but I like it 1/3 concentrate and 2/3 soda and ice.
It is great with Ginger Ale for a refreshing drink for lunch and really good with some rum and white soda for an adult beverage in the evening.

Making some Amaretto Cherry sauce today. I was making spirited cherries but find I really don't use them much. The ones I have on the shelf are 3 years old. Took out a jar of amaretto cherries and whizzed it up for a sauce and found it wonderful to eat on ice cream and it would be great on cake with some whipped cream. Going to make the same recipe for the spirited cherries but chop the cherries up before canning.
Sounds delish! I have made that recipe with blueberries too. so good! I only stopped making it because it was too sweet for me. I wonder if I can make an unsweet version?