wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I finally got the old flock of chickens butchered and into the fridge. Gotta get them cut, packaged and frozen soon.
The new flock needs to get out of the brooder area and into the coop with the run. The new flock is starting to lay and I need to get them nest box trained. I will be cleaning out the coop today, cleaning will go onto the new compost area along with the hay out of the barn that the guy left 8 years ago when we bought the place. Dang barn cats are using it as a litter box.

Going to be putting a good thick layer of leaves out in the run for the chickens to play in and make some frames to make no-scratch areas in the run and see if anything will survive with protection from scratching. I am thinking of making cold-frame covers for the frames to protect the plants until they are tall enough for the chickens to decimate. Make about 4 frames with 2 lids ... move them around to try to keep some veg available for when I can't let them free-range. I can't let the chickens free-range unless I am out there to watch them. First time I let my chickens free-range they crossed the street and started to work up the farm field. Don't want to irritate the neighbors, so they are only allowed supervised free-range. Besides, twice now we have caught dogs running loose

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Somebody on BYC, long time ago, posted pictures of a frame she built in the covered chicken run. It it was a rectangle, planted oats and rye grass in it and put a hardware cloth frame over it so chickens couldn’t destroy the greens. As the blades of green poked through the hardware cloth, the chickens could graze it off. She put a cinder block in the middle so it wouldn’t sag.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I finally got the old flock of chickens butchered and into the fridge. Gotta get them cut, packaged and frozen soon.
The new flock needs to get out of the brooder area and into the coop with the run. The new flock is starting to lay and I need to get them nest box trained. I will be cleaning out the coop today, cleaning will go onto the new compost area along with the hay out of the barn that the guy left 8 years ago when we bought the place. Dang barn cats are using it as a litter box.

Going to be putting a good thick layer of leaves out in the run for the chickens to play in and make some frames to make no-scratch areas in the run and see if anything will survive with protection from scratching. I am thinking of making cold-frame covers for the frames to protect the plants until they are tall enough for the chickens to decimate. Make about 4 frames with 2 lids ... move them around to try to keep some veg available for when I can't let them free-range. I can't let the chickens free-range unless I am out there to watch them. First time I let my chickens free-range they crossed the street and started to work up the farm field. Don't want to irritate the neighbors, so they are only allowed supervised free-range. Besides, twice now we have caught dogs running loose
I like your cold frame plant protector idea! I might have to borrow it!

I might put a small garden next to my coop. I might abandon my big garden. Its too far away, too big, etc.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As for the talking to myself... long time ago when people questioned me about talking to myself this was my answer... "of course I talk to myself, I need an intelligent answer" !!!!! That always gets them to stop and think if not shut up completely.
Then the other day I splurged on a sign in a discount bin; TSC maybe... It says..."Of course I talk to myself, I need expert advice".... Got it right up on the desk to look at...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a dozen extra small eggs in the frisge from the new layer flock. How many small eggs do I use to make a cookie dough recipe that calls for 2 eggs?