wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Had to take the dog to the vet yesterday. Poor 8 year old Gus was feeling poorly and wouldn't eat. We have a very good vet and he was able to work Gus in - Thursday is their Friday so if he couldn't get in yesterday he would have had to wait until Monday.
He has been limping for a week or so and I have been wanting to get him to the vet to check it out, but DH is reluctant to spend money on a vet visit unless there is something really wrong - cheap skate!
When Gus stopped eating, I said he really needed to go in and DH agreed.
Poor dog had a temp of 104.8 - but we have no clue what is wrong. Vet was pretty sure that it was a tick born virus, but the tests came up out negative for all that he tested for. Guess we are still getting the benefits from the Guiney hens wandering the farm for the last 7 years eating ticks. This was the first summer without any guiney's but I only found 3 ticks on Gus all summer.
Vet sedated Gus and took a bunch of X-Rays. Everything looks good - nice joint structure, solid bones, nothing showed up in the chest. vet manipulated all the joints while he was out and there were no "clicks, clacks or grinding" to quote the vet, Not sure why the dog is limping. Hated to spend the $350 on x-rays, but I feel much better knowing for sure that he doesn't have bone cancer or anything like that.
Spend $135 on a test for Blastomycosis - that is all the vet can think of that might be causing problems. Although Gus only has one symptom (limping) it made alot of sense to test for it while we were there. It takes a week or so to get results back for that test. If he has it, it can be cured with meds, if you wait too lang it is fatal.
All in all, $633 for vet bill. Office visit, Same day office visit, 2 medications, sedation, x-rays, lymes testing and Blasto test. I think we got alot for the money, but it is alot of money. Yes, I got charged for an office visit with an additional charge for a sameday office visit. regular office visit is $25 and the additional charge is another $55.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve been going through pretty much the same thing with my dog Sentry. He quit eating, high fever, blood in urine. Vet first said tick borne illness, then analyzed urine and said signs pointed to poisoning. No idea what he could have gotten into. He spent 5 nights at the vet on IV, got antibiotics and steroids. I picked him up 3 days ago, he’s much better, lost a lot of weight, wants in the sheep lot, but doesn’t want me to leave him. He’s a house dog for now.

The vet said there is a small possibility of leukemia. We didn’t run that test, but if he has another episode, we will.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thankfully, Gus is feeling much better. Demanding to have the ball thrown if you are outside. Constant.Ball.Throwing. He does tire out a little faster, but his limp is a little better also. Making sure to take it a little slower with him now.
He ate all of his breakfast, licking the bowl clean. Yesterday he would only eat if I fed him - with the spoon.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gus has finished all his meds and is back to normal. We will assume that is a good thing.
DH has decided that Gus has become my dog. DH was Gus's favorite person. Well, I am the one to walk him, feed him and give him attention at night, what do you expect?

When Gus was under for the x-rays, they clipped his toenails for me! No charge. Any ideas what I can drop off at the vets office to say thanks for an unexpected and much appreciated service?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gus has finished all his meds and is back to normal. We will assume that is a good thing.
DH has decided that Gus has become my dog. DH was Gus's favorite person. Well, I am the one to walk him, feed him and give him attention at night, what do you expect?

When Gus was under for the x-rays, they clipped his toenails for me! No charge. Any ideas what I can drop off at the vets office to say thanks for an unexpected and much appreciated service?
donuts, coffee, bag of treats, chips and salsa, pretty much anything.

**as a side note it probably isn't an unexpected service but something they just do when pets are under. Our vet does the same thing, but it is very much appreciated for us as our dog hates to have her nails clips and the cat is almost a lost cause when it comes to home trimming.