wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Had to share a picture of tonight's supper - the first Wild Asparagus of the season cooked with chicken and mushrooms.
FirstAsparagusOf2015.jpg
I managed to pick 1/2 pound of asparagus from along the fence lines on the property. The wild asparagus hunters are pretty ruthless out here. We had at least 5 cars come through today looking for asparagus along the road ...

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here is another neat feature in the house we bought - a flour bin. The recipe in the picture is glued to the inside of the flour bin. I will be trying the recipe this week.
flourbin1.jpg

flourbin_recipe.jpg wonder why it is up-side down? anyone know how to turn the photos?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Either turn your screen upside down, or stand on your head? :hide

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pulled one of these out of the guinea coop yesterday. Got all the poop and feathers washed off and now to disinfect it. It is going to be my brooder for the dual purpose chicks I am ordering from the local store. They get the chicks delivered straight from Sunnyside, Inc., so no post office troubles to worry about.
untitled.png
This is not a picture of mine, I took it off the internet, but mine is just like it, but grey in color.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    26 KB · Views: 277

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just a word of caution w/those. They don't have much of an angle to the roof, so it can really collect the water and it's not a bad idea to paint it. It will help it to hold up better.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is very good advice. It is pretty flimsy.

I am planning on putting it in the building where I am creating the chicken coop. The day olds will be confined to the little enclosed coop area and when they have grown enough and feathered some, I will give them the entire pen. I need to figure out something for the floor when they go in the lower section. Maybe find a piece of linoleum to insulate the chicks from the concrete.

I put in my order for 15 dual purpose chickens - to be delivered on May 26th. They are just hybrids, but they will be mine. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I got a phone call, my order will be delayed until next week, June 6th, I think. I had called the hatchery and they said there would be Sagitta chicks available for May 26th delivery, but I added 6 sex-linked pullets to the order so I figure that is what pushed it back. Not a big deal, as long as we get them.
One of our neighbors gave us some eggs from their hens. Wow! what a difference from the store bought ones. Only problem is the DH refuses to eat an egg with a meat spot, and about 4 of the 18 eggs had little spots, so the dogs have been getting eggs for breakfast. He is so picky! I tell him "Just pick it out if it bothers you" sheesh! As long as he is scrambling them anyway, what is the big deal about picking it out.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think I will paint the brooder pen I am using. I have scrubbed it down and bleached it, but I think I would feel better knowing that anything on it from the couple of years it sat in the guinea coop would be sealed under a layer of paint.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
always safer to be extra careful with used equipment, particularly when there's a chance of diseases carried by similar animals.