wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Still looking for job, time to stop looking for that "career" job and find something to pay the bills. It would have been nice to find something in the field I have spent most of my working life but obviously that is not going to happen. I have had interviews almost every week but no luck. My chosen career has rejected me - Boo Hoo. Big girl panties time and find a job.

My new layers are growing fast. Bought 9 Orpington and 6 Silver laced Wyndotes from tractor supply at the beginning of May. One of the orps is a roo - not bad out of 15 chicks. They prefer fresh picked weeds over the chick feed, so that is cool. I need to get the chicken tractor finished so I can get them out onto the grass.

Gotta get outside and get the garden weeded. It is so overgrown it is pitiful. Need to tie up the tomatoes also. We just used up the last jar of canned cherry tomatoes and getting low on diced tomatoes. I need to make sure that I get alot more of those canned.

I absolutely LOVE the electric canner. Recently I canned Prepared Garlic, red onions in vinegar (those should have been waterbath canned oops) and chicken gizzards. I also made strawberry jam.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So yesterday morning, I got up early and took the dog outside. I decided to feed the barn cats right away and I took dog to do chores. Got about 3 steps out of the fenced yard and look over and see a doe and 2 fawns in the fenced orchard area. Can you really call it fenced if the gates don't have fencing panels on them? Anyway, it took a good 3 minutes to convince dog that he needed to go back into the fenced yard - meanwhile, doe is standing in garden watching me. I finally got dog put away so he won't chase the deer and I start walking toward the garden, explaining to mama deer that she shouldn't teach her babies to come into my garden for breakfast. Telling them it is really rude to walk through the closed gate frame and eat all the tender new leaves and twigs from the little apple trees. Doe finally decides to calmly walk out of the garden area, meanwhile the fawns keep running and jumping into the fence trying to get away.

DH finished the gates on Sunday. Nice to have that done after 4 years. I should have just done them before, but we kept disagreeing on how to do them. Done the way I wanted but with a DH twist. they look nice.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, another interview done. My bad on this one, I thought it was a remote job, but reviewing the description this morning saw that it wasn't and I would have to sell my 25 acres and move to a large, very liberal city. Not happening. Too bad, I think they were sincerely interested in hiring me - I ticked all of their boxes- and it looked like it would have been a good job. But, NOPE, not moving there. I lived there for 9 months while I was interning during college, and it almost killed me.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I finally tried the Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate recipe from the yellow Ball Book of Canning that I have wanted to try for 6 years. Only tweaked it a little bit - subbed in Cherries for the Strawberries and lime juice for the lemon juice.
I love Cherry Limeade! This turned out fabulous! I will make a full batch and can it up for the pantry. Directions say 50/50 concentrate and soda, but I like it 1/3 concentrate and 2/3 soda and ice.
It is great with Ginger Ale for a refreshing drink for lunch and really good with some rum and white soda for an adult beverage in the evening.

Making some Amaretto Cherry sauce today. I was making spirited cherries but find I really don't use them much. The ones I have on the shelf are 3 years old. Took out a jar of amaretto cherries and whizzed it up for a sauce and found it wonderful to eat on ice cream and it would be great on cake with some whipped cream. Going to make the same recipe for the spirited cherries but chop the cherries up before canning.