Xi said: "China is Battling a Demon Virus"

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No doubt this will impact the global economy. How much of an impact is yet to be seen... But I would say oil prices will sharply fall. Mainly from airline travel. Depending how bad this gets imports/exports could also be impacted. Production of goods (made in China) will most likely see the greatest impacts, as the virus spreads across the mainland, less people will be healthy enough to makes those goods. A lot of our food comes from China also don't forget...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Google and Apple (and more I'm sure) are shutting down their plants in China.

This outbreak has me thinking about SHTF scenarios. Not that I think it will happen with this, but thinking about what we would do if our food supply was compromised, what if there was an outbreak and we needed to isolate ourselves? Interesting thoughts. I have a few things to change to be prepared for situations like that.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This outbreak has me thinking about SHTF scenarios. Not that I think it will happen with this, but thinking about what we would do if our food supply was compromised, what if there was an outbreak and we needed to isolate ourselves? Interesting thoughts. I have a few things to change to be prepared for situations like that.

Most stores in the usa are less than 3 days away from empty and panic from most people. Most people have less than a weeks stored food so this is a good thing to think about. No better time to fix that for your home than to start now. $1.00 stores are good for tight budget prepardness

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have buckets of beans, rice, oatmeal, plus jars of home canned food, 2 freezers full. We are on community water, so if that shut down, it could be a problem.

A wild animal market. Those people eat everything. This virus came from snakes and bats. BATS! They freaking eat BATS! and SNAKES! :sick

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have buckets of beans, rice, oatmeal, plus jars of home canned food, 2 freezers full. We are on community water, so if that shut down, it could be a problem.

A wild animal market. Those people eat everything. This virus came from snakes and bats. BATS! They freaking eat BATS! and SNAKES! :sick

It's crazy... They didn't learn their lesson form SARS, did they?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A huge population with limited arable land will get down to eating most anything I guess. I have eaten fried rattlesnake, not bad, but BATS? Oh heck NO! Now knowing that snakes carry this virus, they are off the menu, not that snakes were ever a first class meal. If the Chinese like snake so much, maybe they could send hunting teams to the everglades and clean out the anacondas, boa constrictors and other invasive species. It would be a win-win.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We take so much for granted here. We can go to the store and buy pretty much anything we want. Most American consumers buy what fancies their taste buds at the moment, without regard to price, whether that item might be seasonal, local or shipped from across the world. And, if they don't have a job that provides that luxury, government hand out does provide that luxury for many. Folks in other countries don't have the same options. Limited income, limited food availability, no government hand outs, no refrigeration. There may very well come a time when we face the same issues. Good ol' US of A can not continue the current course of behavior and expect God's continued blessing on our nation. We are headed for rough times.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter , while decreased travel might suggest that oil prices should fall, that might not be the case. Any excuse to raise those prices is used, whether it's a legitimate excuse or not. If anything, I expect cost of all goods will go up if this disease is not quickly contained.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter , while decreased travel might suggest that oil prices should fall, that might not be the case. Any excuse to raise those prices is used, whether it's a legitimate excuse or not. If anything, I expect cost of all goods will go up if this disease is not quickly contained.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A huge population with limited arable land will get down to eating most anything I guess. I have eaten fried rattlesnake, not bad, but BATS? Oh heck NO! Now knowing that snakes carry this virus, they are off the menu, not that snakes were ever a first class meal. If the Chinese like snake so much, maybe they could send hunting teams to the everglades and clean out the anacondas, boa constrictors and other invasive species. It would be a win-win.

NINTCHDBPICT000556525444.jpg