Xi said: "China is Battling a Demon Virus"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, NOT! @CrealCritter . I was thinking it's about time to rustle up some lunch. But, now, I'll have to wait until that evil pic is cleared from where it's been seared onto my retinae!!! Hmmm... she wonders... I wonder if the fuzziness of that morsel would overpower the crunchiness?

I do wish I could take advantage of falling oil prices. we need to replace the oil tank before filling it. The tank is ancient, so we are buying oil 100G at a time until we get it replaced in the spring.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
HTF scenarios. Not that I think it will happen with this, but thinking about what we would do if our food supply was compromised, what if there was an outbreak and we needed to isolate ourselves? Interesting thoughts. I have a few things to change to be prepared for situations like that.
This is on my mind this year since I don't have a canning stash. I'm down to 5 pints of chicken. In reality, I would get serious about growing greens in my windows and we would become almost carnivore, eating out of the freezer. Doesn't sound pleasant, but we could do it.

I hope for better gardening season in 2020 so I can preserve more food and I'll keep shopping the discount produce in hopes of scoring large amounts [of foods we prefer] for preserving.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, NOT! @CrealCritter . I was thinking it's about time to rustle up some lunch. But, now, I'll have to wait until that evil pic is cleared from where it's been seared onto my retinae!!! Hmmm... she wonders... I wonder if the fuzziness of that morsel would overpower the crunchiness?

I do wish I could take advantage of falling oil prices. we need to replace the oil tank before filling it. The tank is ancient, so we are buying oil 100G at a time until we get it replaced in the spring.

Hard to believe someone would eat a bat. But as Bay said... yep it's true in China, bat soup.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
🤢 That bat did not look pleasant and given its size I just dont think itd be worth the effort even if I was really, desperatly hungry.

Also just curious knowing that snakes might carry it, would thoroughly cooking the meat kill off the disease (like with pork)? Or is that an unknown currently??

Adding in that If a really serious shtf situation happens as more people get desperate to eat there will be less qualms about (someone else's words I heard at school recently) "eating some weird a** animals and sh*t."

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
🤢 That bat did not look pleasant and given its size I just dont think itd be worth the effort even if I was really, desperatly hungry.

Also just curious knowing that snakes might carry it, would thoroughly cooking the meat kill off the disease (like with pork)? Or is that an unknown currently??

Adding in that If a really serious shtf situation happens as more people get desperate to eat there will be less qualms about (someone else's words I heard at school recently) "eating some weird a** animals and sh*t."

There is a ton of speculation out there and not many facts. That being said... It stands to reason (to me) that handling many different species of live wild animals in a open air market destinatined for the dinner table is not wise. Cooking a live animal, is simply beyond my moral compass, let alone mistreatment of animals, which is also beyond moral compass. But both appear to be "somewhat" common in the Communist Party of China.

you raise "the big question".

The only thing I can say is, the Chinese culture and Communist Party of China government is a lot different than Americans' culture and government. I can also say with confidence that the internet is full of all kinds of misinformation, regarding this topic.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise Stock up on foods that y'all eat and rotate them. A bucket of beans, rice, macaroni, and such may not be a gustatory delight, but would keep you alive. I have a 5 gallon bucket of beans that has gotten old. Still edible, but needs to go. So when I raise feeder pigs this year, I'll cook up those beans, then restock with fresh beans. LOL LOL

Another thing to consider is to keep plenty of canning lids.

Bat soup. Gross.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise Stock up on foods that y'all eat and rotate them. A bucket of beans, rice, macaroni, and such may not be a gustatory delight, but would keep you alive. I have a 5 gallon bucket of beans that has gotten old. Still edible, but needs to go. So when I raise feeder pigs this year, I'll cook up those beans, then restock with fresh beans. LOL LOL

Bat soup. Gross.

Yes and fishing/hunting.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There is a ton of speculation out there and not many facts. That being said... It stands to reason (to me) that handling many different species of live wild animals in a open air market destinatined for the dinner table is not wise. Cooking a live animal, is simply beyond my moral compass, let alone mistreatment of animals, which is also beyond moral compass. But both appear to be "somewhat" common in the Communist Party of China.

you raise "the big question".

The only thing I can say is, the Chinese culture and Communist Party of China government is a lot different than Americans' culture and government. I can also say with confidence that the internet is full of all kinds of misinformation, regarding this topic.

I agree. No animal deserves mistreatment or a cruel life and even more so a cruel end. A quick end as compassionate as possible and a good life too is a must, it's part of the reason I want to raise my own animals, so I know they got the best they could get and I could verify it too.

All those animals in such a small space and the cleanliness of the market/process space does not sound like it was a good situation at all :(

There is a lot of misinformation and a lot of confusing sources too. It sucks because a lot of it is spun towards how most news sources think different people want to hear it, rather than just straight up facts on what's going on

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unless it is a prion, proper cooking will kill it. Mad Cow, and it's "cousin" Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease are prions. I also suspect that the other neurological wasting diseases common to hoofed game animals are. Though... that is speculation on my part.

And you all raise a good point that the tight quarters, with multi species live animals being sold at these open air markets pose a great risk for disease transmission.

As for myself, I plan to lay in some beans and flour for short term. Also need to get on the stick, and choose/order a grain grinder. This might be a good year to raise some meaties.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

yes! Very much this! ^^ My brother gave me some reusable Tattler lids. I haven't tried them yet. Most are regular mouth and all my jars are wide mouth. So... I am not sure. Do I want the ease of all one size more than I want reusable canning jar lids?

Latest posts