Xi said: "China is Battling a Demon Virus"

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Unless it is a prion, proper cooking will kill it. Mad Cow, and it's "cousin" Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease are prions. I also suspect that the other neurological wasting diseases common to hoofed game animals are. Though... that is speculation on my part.

You're correct about CWD, Chronic Wasting Disease in deer population. It is a prion disease. DH tries to harvest young animals (less chance of them having it) and we get ours tested for CWD. Have not gotten a positive, and hope we never do!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a combination of lid sizes. I use small mouth where ever practical, since the small mouth lids are a bit cheaper. And, the small mouth lids fit some of the purchased jars of sauce that I have bought in the store. When ever I buy jarred spaghetti sauce or such, I choose a brand that has a mason jar thread, so that I can re-purpose it in my canning. I re-use all of my lids that are in good shape for future HWB canning. My son bought me some tattlers also, but... I have yet to try them. I also put up a lot of 8 oz. jars. Do those even come in large mouth size?

One place where large mouth jars really shine in multi purpose use is when sprouting. They make sprouting lids that fit the large mouth jars.

I can appreciate the convenience of buying ALL large mouth jars, and only having one size of jar and lid to use. Please let me know how well they work, when you use the Tattlers.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You're correct about CWD, Chronic Wasting Disease in deer population. It is a prion disease. DH tries to harvest young animals (less chance of them having it) and we get ours tested for CWD. Have not gotten a positive, and hope we never do!

Years ago, I treated a man who had CJD. It was a difficult time for me, emotionally, to see a once vibrant man loosing his mental and physical faculties. He was usually very confused, and prone to violent outbursts, still very strong. And, he happened to be the father of one of my high school buddies. There is so much not known about prion diseases. Very scary thing, indeed.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes! Very much this! ^^ My brother gave me some reusable Tattler lids. I haven't tried them yet. Most are regular mouth and all my jars are wide mouth. So... I am not sure. Do I want the ease of all one size more than I want reusable canning jar lids?
I've been wanting to use tattlers! The reusable option sounds great if a shtf situation happened, cause eventually manufacturing of the metal lids may stop or one may not be able to get anymore easily, but I dont know anyone who's tried them. Let us know how you like em if you try em?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The bigger issue re: canning after SHTF is this... would any of us have adequate fuel/cooking options to safely can? In theory, one could HWB over an outdoor flame. But, pressure canning would not be an option. One could build a solar dryer. IMO, it's best to be able to do such things before necessity forces a steep learning curve.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The bigger issue re: canning after SHTF is this... would any of us have adequate fuel/cooking options to safely can? In theory, one could HWB over an outdoor flame. But, pressure canning would not be an option. One could build a solar dryer. IMO, it's best to be able to do such things before necessity forces a steep learning curve.
I've been figuring out how to do this, it's been a bit easier here I think cause we get a lot of hot sunny days.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
But, pressure canning would not be an option.

I think pressure canning would work fine. My grandparents vacationed on a remote island. My grandma mastered cooking on open fire. She even baked birthday cakes for us. 😍 Pretty sure that takes more temperature control than a pressure canner.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
China slams Trump's coronavirus travel limits: 'Not a gesture of goodwill'

Goodwill? How about common sense?